• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump regulator question.

Ralph

NAXJA Member #149
I've got a 96 model with the 4.0 liter engine. I know that the fuel pump regulator is part of the fuel pump assembly in the gas tank. Is it incorporated with the fuel pump itself or is it a seperate part?

Thanks,

FSM "the pressure regulator is not serviced separately"If it needs servicing,the entire pump module must be replaced" "
Wayne

PW1XJ99 said:
I've got a good write up on how to do it:
Yes the pump can be replaced, in my case the filters were really gummed up!
http://www.verticalexcursions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217

I thought it was for the 97's and up. Guess they put them in 96's as well...
Great write up! However, I took a quick look at NAPA, and it appears that some of the 96's received the old style pump, and some received a unique pump that did not carry over to or from any other model year. I hope I'm wrong, because that would mean it's gonna be pricey when it's finally time to do it, but here's what I saw:

Thanks for the input, guys. I wonder what that VIN, S means? I've got an early 96 model. It was built in Dec 95, so I'm hoping it uses the older style pump. I just wanted to know if the regulator was part of the pump itself rather than a separate component on the assembly.

Ralph said:
Thanks for the input, guys. I wonder what that VIN, S means? I've got an early 96 model. It was built in Dec 95, so I'm hoping it uses the older style pump. I just wanted to know if the regulator was part of the pump itself rather than a separate component on the assembly.

S = 4.0 gas engine.As i stated above the pressure regulator is not serviced seperately.It is easier to replace the entire unit than to disassemble the pump assembly and replace individual componets.
The link in the above replys does not apply to the early steel tank assemblys,only the late plastic tank models.
Wayne

langer1 said:
Sometimes the problem is just the vacuum line that runs all the way back to operate the regulator.

What vac line ? the only other line is for the emissions vent/canister.The fuel pressure regulator is mechanical and is not controled by engine vacumn or the PCM.Early models with the regulator on the fuel rail do use vac but that changes in 95/96.
Wayne

Sorry about that Ralph, I didn't know there was a weird cross over year. Maybe you can call Jeep and give them your VIN? They might be able to tell which setup you have. (this worked when I replaced my rotors :) ) I agree with Wayne that it's easier to replace the whole module, but it was cheaper for me to just replace the parts. In my case the pump was fine, it was the 2 screens/strainers/filters/sock that was clogged up. Since I was in there I replaced the pump as well. Good luck......

I've already got a new Bosch pump and screen. I've got my fingers crossed that's it's the correct one. Since I was going to be servicing the pump assembly, I wanted to make sure that the regulator was also replaced. On the diagram of the pump assembly that came with new pump, I couldn't see anything that resembled a regulator. So I wasn't sure if the regulator was part of the pump or if I just didn't see it in the diagram.

I'm going to drop the tank tonight and pull the assembly. I know some of y'all replace the assembly without dropping the tank, but I'm going to flush the tank with some fresh gas while I've got the pump assembly out. I'll let y'all know what I find out.

That had to be one of the easiest fixes I've ever done. First thing I did was put on my favorite Allman Brothers album, Live at Fillmore East. I was done with the job before Whippin Post was done playing.

I did not drop the tank. I wasn't 100% sure if I had the correct replacement part so I decided to pull the pump assy first to check. The screen was clean, so I decided not to drop the tank at all. I just replaced the pump and screen and put it back in.

Here's a shot of the pump assy

DSCN0235.JPG

Glad to hear you got it working again. It kinda looks like Frankenstein's fuel pump module. :shocked:

So this was only used in some 96 models then?

The pump itself looks similar to the new ones.

(you can see it on the lower right)

p22.jpg

The module:

p22.jpg

Ralph said:
No, mine is the one that is also found in earlier model XJs.

Ok, now I'm confused... I thought the earlier models had the fliters on the outside of the tank? Maybe they had 2??? Your's is definitely different, I had to drop the tank to pull the module up and out.

BTW, this is what the pump looks like on the later models. I accidently posted the wrong piture in the other post. (you can see it in the lower right)

p55.jpg

Yes, there are two filters. The screen, not a filter really, at the bottom of the pump assembly and the canister filter located on the driver's side frame rail above the rear axle. The 96 still uses the steel gas tank. The pump assembly is located at the front top part of the gas tank, so it can be removed without dropping the tank. From what I can see, that pump looks like it's the same as mine.

Back