• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35s and stock gears?????

azxjman

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to 35s but at this moment I cant afford new gears what do you guys think it is just going to be for a little while. I know that I am going to get crap for gas mileage but I am just looking to see if there is going to be any phyisical damage from this thx in advance

hope its an AW4, if its a 5 spd start reading up on clutch replacement... not a bad idea to spend a lil$ and see how it works for you.. but start saving the pennies now for some 4.56's maybe bigger if it suits you..
mike

yes it is an aw4 and its not a choice to wait I have to have my jeep up and running for school in two weeks and I refuse to look homosexual with 31s my current tire and an 8 inch lift.

having an aw-4 doesn't give you a "get out of jail free" card from tranny trouble....

also "ducks in a row" would have saved you the trouble of having to decide wether or not your sexuality would come into question...

but be honest here, it really doesn't matter what any of us say, you are gonna put those tires on anyway....the only reason you are posting is to hopefully get a single repsonce that makes you sleep better at night.

so have at it.

Homosexual? How manly will you feel with a burnt tranny?
The answer to your question is yes, it will run like that for a while. But you'll be putting an inordinate amount of stress on your transmission creating a ton of heat and thereby reducing its lifespan. Just as important, you'll be lugging your engine constantly and putting untold amounts of stress on your crank, rods and bearings.
I've been running the stock 3.55s and 33 inch BFGs for a while now and am finally getting around to regearing. Every day of that time, however, it has been eating at me how I've been mistreating my XJ - and that's on lightweight 33x10.50 radials. 35s will not only be taller and therefore make your Jeep feel even more undergeared, they'll be heavier - anywhere from a lot to a ton heavier.
You sound young to me. If you'd like some friendly advice from those with a little more experience (which presumably is why you posted this thread), either wait on the 35s until you can regear, or remove that lift until you (and your Jeep) are ready for it.

35s and 3.55s???! I wouldnt do this long, you are going to smoke that tranny and yes I mean smoke as it blows fluid out of the vent onto the cat! I have 33s 4.10s and the AW4 with tranny cooler, and it still gets hot on the hills...pegs the 250* guage.. Before the aux cooler it did blow fluid.. If you really question your sexual orientation..:( dont even think of using 4th gear (od)

Good Luck...

Tim

Well it wasent exactly in the cards to have it happen this way I lost my job and I have to save the money I was going to put into gears for school which is quite a chunk of change more than the lift and tires and gears all together the only other option is to put it on the old credit card which is what I will have to do if you guys say it will damage my tranny even with my gigantic tranny cooler I had to install with the supercharger I didnt really know if that was the issue or if power was the only issue which I definetly dont have a problem with.

You asked........

Why 35's? Can't you run the trails you like to run with 33's? We've been to AZ and wheeled the trails around Pheonix, in rigs with 33's and even 32's (Axle Alley, etc.). It's not a good idea to run equipment that the rest of the rig isn't set up for yet.

Do you have stock axles? Stock steering? Sounds like it if you still have stock gears. Again......why the 35's? 33's will more than get the job done, and be easier on the drivetrain, both on and off the trail. The 33's will wear out in about two years, then you can move up to the 35's if the rest of your equipment is ready for them.

If you already have axles to handle 35's, which I hope you do with the power you're running, I'd get them and not worry about it. Now I see that you have a supercharger, so you should have the power to pull those tires with those gears, even if it's still marginal. The big tranny cooler will help, but you're still asking a lot from that tranny.

Damn, I hope you have upgraded axles. A supercharger and 35" tires........not a good combination with stock axles and stock brakes. It would help when asking questions like this one to give us the rest of the story.......it could help you get more positive responses if the rest of the story is good. :)

Last edited:
Well aparently you didnt read my last post it is completly set up to run the 35s except the gears the reason I got the 35s instead of 33s is I got a great deal on them 600 bucks for 5 brand new mt/rs

I edited my other post after seeing you were running more power........next time give us more info so you can get better responses. We're not psychic.

What axles are you running?

Once uppon a time ....lil' story

There was a guy in college I have attended, he had Ford Ranger with 4.0 and auto tranny. Everything stock with an exeption of 4 lift kit and 2 body kit. So he put 35 and a coller for the tranny. He was happy like an elefant in a car wash....till the day he blew tranny ....I was in automotive class, so we did the repars ...You should have seen internals of this tranny.....baked clutches and bands stratched sun gears and other yammy stuff....After he fixed tranny, he sold the Ranger and hever got back to owning a truck...Sad story, hovewer, some pople just dont get it.....till its too late.....
Sorry for kinda mean ending, but you will grow older you will understand.....
Pit
....o_o_o_o
./| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L--O|||||||O
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯ )_)

well if you guys say I need the gears then it looks like I am going in debt I guess it goes on the CC oh well

Just out of curriosity what rear end are you using?
How do you like the supercharger? As in how much did you gain from it and any BAD side effects such as overheating, bad gas mileage so on. Just currious thats all. I dont think I need any more power out of my XJ it is OK for what I use it for.. If I want to cook some rice I bring out the F-350;)

Tim

I am using the 8.25 and I gained a little over 60 hp according to the dyno and as for the gas milage it actually improved the only bad side effect is the exbition of speed for lighting up my tires and no a cop wasnet there people who witnested called the cops and bam next day cop was at my door with ticket in hand

azxjman said:
Well aparently you didnt read my last post it is completly set up to run the 35s except the gears the reason I got the 35s instead of 33s is I got a great deal on them 600 bucks for 5 brand new mt/rs

I got your solution right here, you ship me your MTRs and I'll ship you 5 33x12.50 BFG MTs (4 with 1/2 tread, 1 brand new) mounted on Eagle alloy 589s 15x8 3.25"bs. I may even be willing to throw in some cash. :D

That would be nice wouldnt it you get a brand new set of mt/rs and all you have to do is trade in your old set of tires to bad you dont have a brand new set I might have taken them but I think I rather go in debt.

Back