• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low RPMs at initial start-up, Help!

ki1022

NAXJA Forum User
Usually when I start up my engine, the RPMs will go up to about 1100, then gradually come down to the idle position.

Now, whenever I start, then RPMs are a little below idle, at about 500. Then it crawls up. It sounds like crap also, like its barley going to start.

My battery has been tested and it is good. What are some other causes of this?

This probmem kinda popped up all of the sudden though, when it worked fine pretty much the day before.

Wouldnt a dirty TB gradually start worse and worse?

it might be the idle air regulator? i dont know if thats what it is really called but the thing that controls the amount of air going through the TB in idle is out on mine. we can pull the plug to it and get no response. personally i just dont want to spend 50 bucks on somthing to make it idle better.

Well it's easy and cheap to clean your throttle body.. so start there. The IAC motor (idle air control valve) is located in the throttle body and could be your concern. If you remove it and start the vehicle you'll see it move in and out. There could be some carbon holding the valve. Or it could be going out. Give it a little tapping action after you clean the throttle body. Maybe that'll clear it up.

If you have noticed that it started with the warmer weather then test your Temp sensors. It may be starting to rich now with the warmer temperature.
Sensors are MAT and Coolent.

I also wanted to add that I suspect this might be an electrical issue. It seems to always happen after I disconnect that battery once or twice to work on something, but sometimes it fixes itself, this time its not.

Just wanted to post and say I got it figured out. I pulled my accessory power circuit (for CB, switches, etc), and its back to normal. i just have a bad ground in my wiring somewhere so I guess i'll have to re-do it all.

Thanks for your help

Back