• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lubricate rear wheel bearing?

torfinn

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my rear wheel bearing a few months ago due to a leaking seal. The bearing was completly full off green grease stuff. I did not add more grease. Should I have done that? The instructions that followed the bearing did not say anything about it.

I have an 89 with non c-clip. I think that the inner seal is at the differential side. I did not replace the inner one.

regards
Torfinn

Unless the unit is sealed, or the instructions specifically say not to, I will pack bearings with EP Moly grease whenever I service or replace them.

Granted, the rear wheel bearings are supposed to be lubricated/flushed with gear oil from the differential case (the tubes are open - there's no real reason to seal the inner end...) but the grease is fairly likely to stay put, even with the gear oil - and it certainly can't hurt!

The "green" grease was probably originally grey, and would be something like an EP Lithium grease (moly is slipperier, but lithium is more resistant to water. If your seals are good, water should not be an issue - but lithium is also cheaper...)

5-90

Back