• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Double cardon; how to grease?

AJPulley

NAXJA Forum User
In the front shaft cardon joint are these, things, that screw in the ends of the U-joints. They aren't the normal zerk fittings. I don't know what they're called and I don't know how to grease them. I can remove them with a flat screwdriver. I took one out to compare it to some other zerk fittings, but the threads are too small to replace it. It had a tiny checkball in the center. Any suggestions?

Are those the ones that require a needle fitting?

Sorry...not really asking you...more just thinking outloud.

I thought of that, but I have never seen one. So, I went to Autozone and they had something that looked like a big needle off a syringe with a zerk fitting on it. It looked kinda hokey to me.

ajpulley said:
I thought of that, but I have never seen one. So, I went to Autozone and they had something that looked like a big needle off a syringe with a zerk fitting on it. It looked kinda hokey to me.
That's the one you need.

See if this works
2421kp1s.gif

ajpulley said:
Thats what you need.

If the caps dont have the little ball in the center and are just caps
(what I have)

You can just remove them use a rubber tip injector for the grease gun, lube them up then put the cap back in

langer1 said:
Thats what you need.
Eagle said:
That's the one you need.
So, do I just push the checkball down and squirt some in the tiny hole? I could take the fitting out and squirt some inside too I suppose. But I don't think I could ever force it out past the needle bearings like I would when greesing one with a zerk.

The needle adapter is not the right one. There is an adapter for flush mount grease fittings. I have a small grease press that is 1 inch by 6 inches, It squirt out a small amount when the tip is pressed. So I just hold it against the fitting and pump it a few times. I then have to fill the grease gun from a regular bigger one. I have not seen these smaller ones in any shop.

Torfinn

Got my needle tip (?) at NAPA. Just told the guys the kind of zirk ftg. I had and they handed me the correct tip for my grease gun. I only lube my own vehicles and only have a small grease gun with a solid arm and the tips just unscrew. Someone here said the rubber hose on larger grease guns dont really work well with this tip as it requires steady pressure to get the grease in.

bacelaw said:
cant you just shoot some grease all over the double u-joint?

is there such a thing as too much grease around it?
Grease around it just atracts dirt and grit. The grease needs to be in the u-joints, not around the outside.

klonestar said:
Got my needle tip (?) at NAPA. Just told the guys the kind of zirk ftg. I had and they handed me the correct tip for my grease gun. I only lube my own vehicles and only have a small grease gun with a solid arm and the tips just unscrew. Someone here said the rubber hose on larger grease guns dont really work well with this tip as it requires steady pressure to get the grease in.
Correct. It's difficult to push hard enough on the needle adapter with a rubber hose. I bought one of the small, one-hand grease guns and keep it with the rigid tube, specifically for use with the recessed zerks. Side benefit is that the small grease gun is handy for taking on rides.

Thanks guys. I went to Napa and the guy knew what I was talking about before I finished. The tip screws on in place of the normal end that goes on the hose. I was picturing a needle which wasn't correct. I also bought a small metal gun with a metal line since I don't want to switch the tip just to greese those fittings, and I don't have three arms to hold it against the fitting, hold onto the greese gun and pull the lever on my full size gun all at the same time.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Back