• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter

You turn the key to start and nothing happens. You turn the key and it makes a noise like a blender, but the motor doesn't turn over. You turn the key to start and it makes a thunk, but the motor doesn't turn over. You turn the key to start and sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't do much of anything.
There are some others,:huh:

Well, my stuff is getting old and I just wondered if there would be any signs or symptoms to a starter going bad because I would hate to be left out in the cold. As of right now everything is starting fine...knock on wood.

I pick up a junkyard spare, clean it out and refresh the brushes if needed and take it with me. If you do any mudding, an extra starter is just about a must. Trying to change a starter in the mud is hard enough, trying to remove, clean and reinstall what you've got, is more than twice as difficult.
A good tip if you do much mudding, is try and get as much extra cable down low as possible (undo the straps and reroute the wires some). The electrical connections can be hard to get to with the starter still bolted up, but get much easier if you can get the starter unbolted and down low enough. A little extra cable helps.

8Mud said:
I pick up a junkyard spare, clean it out and refresh the brushes if needed and take it with me. If you do any mudding, an extra starter is just about a must. Trying to change a starter in the mud is hard enough, trying to remove, clean and reinstall what you've got, is more than twice as difficult.
A good tip if you do much mudding, is try and get as much extra cable down low as possible (undo the straps and reroute the wires some). The electrical connections can be hard to get to with the starter still bolted up, but get much easier if you can get the starter unbolted and down low enough. A little extra cable helps.
That's the one advantage to having a stick, you can pop-start it when the starter craps out :D

Only problem is that some Einstein rocket-scientist decided to put the XJ alternator down way low....

Back