• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail decisions.

Clint

NAXJA Forum User
Since I've never been to Moab, I'm tryin to figure out which trails to go on. I'm thinking of staying on the easier trails, but would like to try Golden Spike. My rig is a 2000, 5" lift, auto, 231/sye, HP d30, MJ AMC20 w/th auburn LSD and 4.56 front/rear. I currently sit on 33's. I'm pretty sure It's capable of some of the tougher stuff (besides pritchet) but I just do not know.
Any first hand knowledge/Advice on which trails to run? I don't mind a bit of body damage, but I'm driving it down there and don't want to walk back...

You can see picture here:
http://young-fam.com/jeep/pics/easter/easter2.jpg

Yes, the fenders will be trimmed by the time I leave.

DrMoab said:
You should able to handle any of the hard trails besides Pritchet with your set up...and thats without any body damage.

I've heard behind the rocks is pretty tough, any first hand knowledge of it?

clint said:
I've heard behind the rocks is pretty tough, any first hand knowledge of it?
You would be just fine on Behind the Rocks as long as you follow the traditional route. Doing the trail reverse direction is a bit more of a challenge. Also, I wouldn't go down White Knuckle Hill unless you are prepared to get strapped/winched up.

Just FYI. Another trail that is much harder backwards is the "4" rated Flat Iron Mesa. It is a "tough" 4+ starting from the end.

Barney said:
You would be just fine on Behind the Rocks as long as you follow the traditional route.
True..
Barney said:
Doing the trail reverse direction is a bit more of a challenge.
:dunno: about that....other than White knuckle hill.

Barney said:
Also, I wouldn't go down White Knuckle Hill unless you are prepared to get strapped/winched up.
It's a downhill obsticle, If you are going down, then there is no need to get a strap up, just keep going to hit the county road.
Barney said:
Just FYI. Another trail that is much harder backwards is the "4" rated Flat Iron Mesa. It is a "tough" 4+ starting from the end.

What obsticle makes it harder?, I have found it to be easier to go south to north, or worse case the same..

Clint, you'd be fine to do both trails, just watch the spotter..

Barney said:
You would be just fine on Behind the Rocks as long as you follow the traditional route. Doing the trail reverse direction is a bit more of a challenge. Also, I wouldn't go down White Knuckle Hill unless you are prepared to get strapped/winched up.

Barney, thanks for the info. Hmm I'm not sure which direction they are planning on running these.. Hopefully forwards..

Thanks for the reply and advice Geep. I've got working windows now so that should be much easier :)

Geepfreak said:
True..

:dunno: about that....other than White knuckle hill.

It's a downhill obsticle, If you are going down, then there is no need to get a strap up, just keep going to hit the county road.

What obsticle makes it harder?, I have found it to be easier to go south to north, or worse case the same..

Clint, you'd be fine to do both trails, just watch the spotter..

how difficult is Rose Garden Hill? i've been told its pretty easy, but by who's standards? i have no doudt that my rig and the rest of us "east coasters" will handle it but i'm leading Top Of The World on Wednesday and would like to add RGH to the trip but i dont know if it's "easy" enough for the easy/moderate trail run for that day.

i guess it will really have to wait till we see who's lined up behind my rig that morning huh?

sidriptide said:
how difficult is Rose Garden Hill?

I have taken my XJ through it a couple times back when it was on 3" w/30's and open/open. Just watch the line going up the hill, and you'll be just fine..

Mary wants to run Falt Iron Mesa on Saturday. My wife & I definitely need to be in work Monday morning and are not looking forward to towing straight home Sunday (about 18-19hrs).

Barring any real difficulties like severe incapacitating vehicle carnage, what is the average time it takes to run Flat Iron Mesa? Could we run it with the group, get back to town, load & go and get about 4 hours of travel behind us on saturday?

Tom

Four and a wake up

It takes about 15-20 min. to get to the Flat Iron trailhead and then, depending on how many stops we make, the trail is a good 3 1/2 to 4 hours (barring any breakage) If all goes smoothly and we make just a couple stops at the harder obstacles + lunch, i should have you off the trail by 2:30. During Jeep safari we stopped WAY TOO MANY times and took about 6 hours. Of course we had 35 rigs too. I'm hoping we don't have many more than about 15 rigs, but I don't know that at this time. I do like to keep things moving.

The important thing on this trail, as with all trails, is keeping the rig behind you in sight. Flat Iron Mesa has a lot of roads veering off from it and crossing it up and there are no trail direction signs (I have no idea why?) When you stay packed in tight, it makes all the difference in the world on getting through the trail.

Back