• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tryin to reinstall my NSS..Grrrr

mack

NAXJA Forum User
i got a brand new NSS, well, for some reason it WILL NOT slide back on the shaft, it there a trick to this???

I just cleaaned and reinstalled my old one a few minutes ago.
I really don't know what I am doing (but I try). It took me about two minutes to get the thing lined up properly. It didn't just slap on. Then I think it was even pressure on both sides that made it go on. I am wondering if I should have put a little lithium grease on the shaft. And I wonder if that would help you.
I'm sure there are others out there who know more, but I just thought I'd give you my .02 while we're waiting.

Good Luck.

thanks, i did try the grease, that didn't help, i'm all done with it for the night.:flamemad:
Mopar500 said:
I just cleaaned and reinstalled my old one a few minutes ago.
I really don't know what I am doing (but I try). It took me about two minutes to get the thing lined up properly. It didn't just slap on. Then I think it was even pressure on both sides that made it go on. I am wondering if I should have put a little lithium grease on the shaft. And I wonder if that would help you.
I'm sure there are others out there who know more, but I just thought I'd give you my .02 while we're waiting.

Good Luck.

does the trans have to be in N?

No, I did mine in Park. There are some differences in NSS's. Can you measure the OD of the shaft and the ID of the hole? I use digital calipers.

use somekind of counter force with a long flathead, or if you can get the big nut on there, it will push it in as you tighten...

i had to clean mine twice, the little springs needed to cleaned too... now its allgood

:yap:

i tried to tighten it down with the big nut, and it just broke the threaded part, well, off to get another one...:cry:
Greenlantern said:
use somekind of counter force with a long flathead, or if you can get the big nut on there, it will push it in as you tighten...

i had to clean mine twice, the little springs needed to cleaned too... now its allgood

:yap:

mack said:
i tried to tighten it down with the big nut, and it just broke the threaded part, well, off to get another one...:cry:
dayam, that's a bad day!
When I rebuilt my old one last summer, it was a bitch to get off, but it went back on real easily.
I followed my FSM instructions, but these are almost identical: http://www.cherokee-jeep.com/1-2swremov.htm

Back