• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

using select trac properly

Jeff Dean

NAXJA Forum User
This may sound like a dumb question, but this is my first off road vehicle and I want to use it properly.

The select trac has a 4 part time, 4 full time, and 4lo. In what conditions would I use each one? Snow and ice is not a concern, just various off road situations.

Thanks

The 242 t-case has a differential in it so you can use Full Time 4WD on all surfaces, wet, dry or otherwise.

Use Part Time 4WD, high and low, on surfaces that are loose or allow for slippage of the wheels as the t-case differential action is not engaged in these positions and the front and rear driveshafts are locked together and turning at the same speed.

When you are in full time 4wd, you are the basically the same as what other auto makers call all wheel drive. you can use it in any condition on road and it truly is better than part time 4wd in the snow. When you use part time you need to be on a surface that is slick or loose. or you will damage parts inside your t-case. When you will want to use 4LO is when you need to creep and crawl and climb up steep obstacles. Congrats on entering the realm of 4WD, great choice of vehicle too.

HTH

Jerm S.

And the question will arise....... If we can use 4LO or 4HI only on slick or loose surfaces, what about driving on slickrock? Is it necessary to shift out of part-time when turning? No-one wants a damaged t-case.

redrockphil said:
And the question will arise....... If we can use 4LO or 4HI only on slick or loose surfaces, what about driving on slickrock? Is it necessary to shift out of part-time when turning? No-one wants a damaged t-case.

When I was at the Granite Bowl at the start of the Rubicon last month (my first experience in this type of environment), it was a little weird as you could definitely feel the rig binding up. I found that occasionally letting off the gas and and turning a little more slowly helped, but it definitely is something to be cognizant of. I'm not sure what you can do about it short of having a twin stick t-case or selectable lockers.

If you have a vacuum disconnect front axle, you can make it manual by very simple means: Just unscrew the vacuum switch on the transfer case, plug the hole with something, and take the vacuum hoses and switch into the cabin under the dashboard to control it manually. Now you can flip the switch and reach 2wd low. Flip it again and you have 4wd again. Nice to have when turning, or when backing up trailers on pavement... But I'm not sure if the vacuum thing is only with the NP207/231-XJs.

Amund2 said:
But I'm not sure if the vacuum thing is only with the NP207/231-XJs.

The vacuum disconnect was not used with the 242 transfer case.

So anyone have any insight as to what to do on the slickrock? I'll be heading down pretty soon and I dont need any tcase issues. What do the members here do when wheelin on rock? Do I really have to switch in and out of part-time everytime I need to turn????

Just to clarify:
Part time = 4wd
4 high = High lock
4 low = low lock

Is part-time not in lock? Then why does the part-time light turn on when I shift into 4hi and 4lo? Not to mention that everywhere else 4hi or 4lo is reffered to it is called part-time. I thought all-wheel drive is full-time.

redrockphil said:
Is part-time not in lock? Then why does the part-time light turn on when I shift into 4hi and 4lo? Not to mention that everywhere else 4hi or 4lo is reffered to it is called part-time. I thought all-wheel drive is full-time.

Part time is 4 hi and 4 lo the axles are locked together

when you have the T-case in 4 fulltime you t case is providing a differentail action between the axles.

your shift pattern should look like this.

my 87 says this

2wd
4 hi lock
4wd
n
4 lo lock

my 88 says this:

2wd
4 hi lock
4 fulltime
N
4 lo lock

(or very similar.. my memory is worse than my spelling :D)

Back