• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Gas Tank Skid Plate

FiFo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 Cherokee with the stock steel gas tank skid plate. Does anyone know how thick the steel used for it is? I'm planing on installing a new rear bumper and am trying to decide if I should just leave the stock skid in place, or upgrade it since I'll have the rear apart anyways. I know the gas tank skid plate from uses 3/16” steel.

I'm not smart enough to say "no" when people tell me to "Do something Stupid!" which results in me being in rocks, trees, and everything else I can find along the trail.

If as Jes says, its only 1/16" steel Vs. 3/16" for something like Skid Row's, then I'm leaning toward just upgrading it when I pull the rear apart to install the rear bumper.

Is there anything tougher then Skid row's skid plate? I'm a firm believer in the theory that it can never be strong enough.

FiFo said:
If as Jes says, its only 1/16" steel Vs. 3/16" for something like Skid Row's, then I'm leaning toward just upgrading it when I pull the rear apart to install the rear bumper.

Is there anything tougher then Skid row's skid plate? I'm a firm believer in the theory that it can never be strong enough.

DSCF0107.JPG

Added some angle to mine and it stiffened it right up for the Sierra Rocks.

The only GTS design I like better than SkidRow's is Dirk's, but his is only for '97+ XJ's. :(

FWIW, this is what can happen with the stock GTS...

100_0726.jpg

Friend's '99 XJ landed a pointy piece of granite. Stock skid got pushed into stock plastic gas tank. It got pushed in enough that it pinched off his fuel pickup, which makes for a dead XJ on the trail. After lots of winching we got it back to camp, pulled the skid, the tank popped back into shape, and it ran just fine after that. One of the first things I did after that trip was replace my stock GTS with one from SkidRow. The tank on my '95 is metal, so if something like that happened to me, it probably wouldn't have been such a straight forward fix.

Hey, the stock is better than nothing though....and they run $30-50 instead of the $250+ that that aftermarket ones cost. I am getting a stock one for $30 today, and I plan on beefing it up a little bit at my leisure.

You can beef up a stock one enough to make a difference for a ton less then a $250 skid.You just have to be a little more cautious while wheeling.

Jeepin Jason said:
The only GTS design I like better than SkidRow's is Dirk's, but his is only for '97+ XJ's. :(

FWIW, this is what can happen with the stock GTS...

100_0726.jpg

Friend's '99 XJ landed a pointy piece of granite. Stock skid got pushed into stock plastic gas tank. It got pushed in enough that it pinched off his fuel pickup, which makes for a dead XJ on the trail. After lots of winching we got it back to camp, pulled the skid, the tank popped back into shape, and it ran just fine after that. One of the first things I did after that trip was replace my stock GTS with one from SkidRow. The tank on my '95 is metal, so if something like that happened to me, it probably wouldn't have been such a straight forward fix.

That wouldn't happen to mine, it has been throughly tested. ;)

Last edited:
Here is what happens when you wheel a stock gas tank skid in the rocks :shhh: :

IMG_6238.jpg

IMG_6239.jpg

I was too cheap to spend $250 on a new skid though.....so, I got another stock one and beefed it up a little bit. I figured I would try this out for a while and then upgrade if it didn't work out. So far it seems to be holding up, but I've only hit a couple of times.

IMG_6245.jpg

After pounding the dents out of mine several times I added some 1X2X.120 box cut in half in the little valleys on the tank then added some 12GA plate.
Has held up well so far...
picture.JPG

Back