• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trackbar too short

xj incubus

NAXJA Forum User
im interested in knowing what kinds of track bars y'all used on your XJ's with 7"+ of lift. i have the RE adjustable track bar and bracket for 6"+, but it is too short for my approximate 9" of lift. with it bolted up, my front axle is shifted toward the driver's side (driver's side front tire sticks out more than the rear, and vice versa for pass. side). and im not going to lower the jeep... i was thinking about cutting the trackbar and welding in an extension using the same steel, same DOM, etc, but i wasn't sure if that would damage the overall integrity of the trackbar. thanks in advance

96 XJ D30 front with mostly RE suspension

I had the same problem with RE TB and bought a Rusty's one. Rusty's will make them any length you need. I do like the RE one better though. The bracing is better and the brace itself fits better.

JKS sells a fab-kit for an adjustable track bar that you should be able to make a longer TB to fit the RE HD bracket. For myself I've been thinking about putting the RE bracket and brace back on and get the JKS ATB fab parts.

Just like you were thinking I was thinking about making the RE TB longer and came up with this idea. This plan involves cutting the RE TB apart to get the lower bushing tube end. A length of DOM tube would then be slid inside it and welded. The brace end would then be bent and cut the right size for a threaded insert and a johnny joint with a threaded rod to screw into it.

The latter way may be a cheaper route than the JKS route. But I keep wondering which one wound be more of a PITA. When the Rusty's one starts creeking it gets me to start thinking about it.

I had this exact problem with my XJ last night as well. Bought a used RE Trac bar and bracket used, installed it and yep too short. I just happened to also have a Pro-comp HD trac bar as well. Uses the same ends as the RE bar but the tube isn't as heavy. Its a bit longer so I'm using it for now but I could use a bit more length. I'm planning Histeer conversion and will be moving the trac bar to the top of the axle tube so one that is done the RE bar will probably be the right length.

My RK trackbar and mount were plenty when I was at 8.5" It still had adjustability. I'm at about 7" now and it's all the way in. RK needs to make a brace for theirs.

Back