• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longview/Kelso

MRKTUNA

NAXJA Member #1279
Company expanding to Longview and I need some help to know where to put the family. Gonna have to rent for about 6 mos. to a year to start then gonna buy so the first place will be temporary. But it still has to be safe for the kids.

Look in the surrounding areas. Rose Valley, Castle Rock, Kalama, Woodland, and Lexington. Kelso, on the hill above the freeway is decent, and anything in Columbia Heights.

In Longview itself, look for places right around Lake Sacajawea (or however it's spelled). Be wary of anything to the west/northwest of 15th, and south/southwest of 30th/Beech. That's about the worst part of town. One of my friends lived down there for a few months and had to literally chase a bunch of 'immigrants' off her front porch at 2 am with a baseball bat (even made contact once or twice).

12GaugeXJ said:

One word... Algona
12.gif

twardozrally said:
yeah, bunch of hispanic types wouldn't leave her alone, kept knocking on here door. So she finally opened it, and came out swinging.

WTF, why can't they be losers or criminal types!! Maybe my wife and kids aren't living up to there hispanic heritage because they don't harass people and have to be chased away with bats. Just because someone is hispanic doesn't mean they are a dirty immigrant waiting to break into your house or rape your daughter. Is this the kind of attitudes we have to look forward to when we move down there. Thanks for opening my eyes a little.

downtown area of longview is notorious for crime...get a copy of the local paper and they list the police calls and basic type of infrations commited.

I'd go with lexington area...just up the river on the the west side of kelso.

MRKTUNA said:
WTF, why can't they be losers or criminal types!! Maybe my wife and kids aren't living up to there hispanic heritage because they don't harass people and have to be chased away with bats. Just because someone is hispanic doesn't mean they are a dirty immigrant waiting to break into your house or rape your daughter. Is this the kind of attitudes we have to look forward to when we move down there. Thanks for opening my eyes a little.

Oh snap...

twardozrally said:
woah buddy, I wasn't trying to make generalities or anything, sorry if it came off like that. I won't be so specific as to who they were next time.

Ever since we moved to Wa, we've come across a lot of generalities like that and it is really starting to piss us off. I guess that is the culture shock we face moving from CA. Even my boss is guilty of it, right in front of my wife. Lowlifes are lowlifes and good people are good people no matter what there ethnic background is.

MRKTUNA said:
Ever since we moved to Wa, we've come across a lot of generalities like that and it is really starting to piss us off. I guess that is the culture shock we face moving from CA. Even my boss is guilty of it, right in front of my wife. Lowlifes are lowlifes and good people are good people no matter what there ethnic background is.

Mark,
I don't know if this helps, but I was born and raised here. Moved to Santa Cruz for 3 years and they treated me like SHIT when I came back...Everyone thought we were from California. I swapped them plates QUICK!!

Folks still "bristle" a bit when they hear me speak of the Central Coast...

It's a Washington thing...It wears off. I think you're alright!! :) :guitar: :peace:

Thanks Sniggs!!!

Xjforme said:
Rose Valley would be my choice in Kelso. My grandparents live hter. nice place. Also Kalama is nice and small.

Thanks for the tip, wife has already looked at Kalama but will look in to Rose valley.

I grew up in Battleground, Camas, and Vancouver, It would be a bit of a drive, but I spent a lot of time in Woodland at my uncle's place. Very nice place to set up camp for a while.

Aaron

I second the Lexington area. They've got some new housing developments out there and seems to be a decent neighborhood for the most part. I haven't heard much bad about that area.

Columbia Heights seems to be good as well.

Between Fred Meyers and Walmart on the Fred Meyers side the neighborhood seems to be relatively low crime. The houses aren't that new but alot of them come with a decent amount of yard space. This is actually the area I'm in and I don't mind it.

-Kevin

Back