• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low Pinion / High Pinion ?

TXSizedJeep

NAXJA Forum User
to start off - i searched and didnt quite find a full answer to my question so im hoping someones got the answer i want to hear :)
im trying to put a new D30 under my 98XJ that currently has a HP30
my question is would a low pinion dana 30 work? ive got one at my disposal if it will, but i dont want to waste my time taking the old one out if its not going to work.
thanks alot!

why? the LP is a downgrade, why do it?

cause i broke seals and bearings in the HP and its cheaper to replace the whole thing than just the seals and bearings...and the LP is the only one i can find in the area :( and what exactly is the difference anyways? if you cant tell im not quite the axle expert

one difference is the way the pinion hits the ring in 4wd. the high pinion runs on the drive side of ring( like a lowpinion rear). the lowpinion will be the opposite(coast side). thats one difference/weakness. + with lifts and gaining ground clearance the LP is lame.

the low pinion has the pinion below the centerline of the axle, whereas the HP has it above. it just puts it more in the way of rocks. also front driveshaft angles will be more of a problem because of the more severe angle it will be at. Not sure if your driveshaft will switch over, i'm sure someone will speak up about that.

read some write ups and i bet you can tackle those things yourself pretty easily.

Back