• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ssince everyone hates fram,what are frams clones?

bosh suck don't ever use them.

I run some all white on that I picked up at the race shop its the same one I use in the 5.0 foxbody.

I have the filter and the metal magnatic cover for it.

I hate the jiffy lube filters (don't know the brand), oil pressure was always low, changed to napa gold, pressure is much better (within spec at least).

I also don't like Napa silver or whatever they call it now.

I tried the larger "301" size filter you read about on the internet, that sucked too. I'm pretty sure it was causing damage to the engine (took 3-5 seconds to build pressure compared to the 1-2 seconds with the regular sized napa gold.)

I only use wix filters... I've never heard anything bad about them from anyone, and my local parts store carries them.

I don't know that Fram has any other "brands" or value lines or anything, but I could be wrong.... I know the Napa in-house are simply rebranded Wix filters.

I can tell you as a former service advisor for Daimler Chrysler, Fram is the ONLY filter that DC specifically states AUTOMATICALLY voids the engine warranty if installed. How do I know this? We had to tell a guy with less than 2k miles on his '05 diesel that he had to buy his new engine out of pocket after the Fram filter was sucked into the engine causing it to sieze. $12k later, he was driving his truck again and had himself a nice little lawsuit against Fram. IMHO, you can never go wrong with Wix filters.

Pennzoil filters are repackaged fram filters.:explosion

pikey77 said:
Why doesn't anyone just use MOPAR filters? They're only 6 or 7 bucks.
I don't like waiting around for anothe 2hrs. after I get off work. Napa is open & on the way haome. JIM.

mtnxj said:
I can tell you as a former service advisor for Daimler Chrysler, Fram is the ONLY filter that DC specifically states AUTOMATICALLY voids the engine warranty if installed. How do I know this? We had to tell a guy with less than 2k miles on his '05 diesel that he had to buy his new engine out of pocket after the Fram filter was sucked into the engine causing it to sieze. $12k later, he was driving his truck again and had himself a nice little lawsuit against Fram. IMHO, you can never go wrong with Wix filters.

He didn't have the original factory filter on it after only 2k miles?

No warranty would cover that, regardless of the filter make. It's also illegal for a filter alone to void an entire warranty. If the filter causes engine damage, it's not a manufacturing defect and therefore not covered under warranty. However, if an engine goes south because of an honest manufacturing defect, Chryco can NOT void the warranty simply for the make of the oil filter if the filter didn't cause the problem. If they do, they'll find a quick lawsuit against themselves, not the filter maker. As it stands, that guy should and probably will be reimbursed by Fram in short order.

But then again, Chrysler does some stupid things. My brother had tha ball joints on his Dakota replaced under warranty (I think it was a recall actually, but they were very loose), the dealer also replaced the tie rods under warranty...don't know why, they weren't loose, but whatever. Then they had the balls to call him up and tell him it would be $75 for the alignment afterwards...that's right, AFTER THE WORK WAS COMPLETED they told us the alignment wasn't part of the warranty job. After calling the service writer, manager, whoever it was and tearing him up, we found out that it's because the DEALERSHIP doesn't have an alignment rack and they have to outsource all their alignments to a local shop. Go figure.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of the K&N oil filters. They are like 11 bucks but they seem to give me higher oil pressure then when using a purolator, fram or even the mopar filter.

What about Mobil filters?? And what oil are we using??

Baldwin or the Carquest Blue filters (rebranded Wix)

Bub1357 said:
I am a big fan of the K&N oil filters. They are like 11 bucks but they seem to give me higher oil pressure then when using a purolator, fram or even the mopar filter.
$11 for an oil filter is obscene. I use filters from STP, Purolator, Fram, NAPA/Wix, etc...whatever's available. None have ever given me more or less oil pressure than any other on my cars that have had oil pressure guages. On the cars I've had without guages, never has a "bad" or "cheap" filter caused the oil light to turn on. And I've had a couple cars pass the 200k mile mark with zero engine problems.

$11 will get me 3 or 4 Purolator filters. K&N and Mobil 1 are selling a name, that's it.

Back