• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waggy 44 or a dana 60

Nik

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I have slowly been building a 88 cherokee and I am looking for a 44 up front. Everybody says look for a waggy 44. Well this may sound dumb but what the hell is a waggy 44:mad: I am looking for a wide 44 out there that I dont need to drop a large amount of money on setting up.

If you know what I mean it is a trip to the salvage yard .

If it is easier are there any 60's that can be fitted up front. I am running a 60 in the back. I already posted a similar post but I can have a bud weld and fab up all of the spring perches and control arm brackets. So what vehicles can I look for that have a 60 or 44 up front?

I need a list of vehicles to look for.

Thanks

Nik

My gawd, do you ever fail to pimp that Waggy? :rolleyes: :D

Nik,

What width axle are you looking for? How much do you have to spend? You are not going to get into a D-60 for less than a grand, unless you really luck out and find one at pick and pull.

Any Dana 60 from a Ford truck from 1977 to current will work on an XJ, with a healthy amount of fab work. Any Dana 44 from a fullsize Ford truck or Bronco will work, preferably from 1969 to 1979. Any Waggy axle from about 1980 to 1986 will work.

Are you sure you know what you are getting into here? It sounds like you really haven't done much research as to how much work matching an old axle to your existing suspension geometry really entails. It is not easy, and screwing it up can be deadly.

CRASH

Waggy axles are about 61 inches, compared to the stock 60 inches. If you are looking for something full size (66-69") you need to look for Ford D44s in the F-100, F150 and F250 or Ford Dana 60 from Ford F350. Or you could look for Chevy axles and have them retubed to be a driver's side drop, or you could leave them and use a D300 transfer case to get Passenger side drop.

And for the Waggy axles, CRASH mentioned any year from 80-86, first of all I think they kept making them (with driver's drop) a few years after 86, second there is a vaccum disconnect in some that you DONT want, pretty sure its 83-84.

As for setting up suspension, there is no understating how important this is! both to ride quality and more importantly safety. If you want to keep things simple up front, go to leaves.

Now I had said something about putting a 300 in un-clocked, and there was a statement made about body work to get it to fit.

yeah, crawl under you're Jeep and you will notice that the tranny tunnel has room for the t-case on the driver's side, but not on the passenger side. You could run a D300 if you had it clocked way down, but if you want it relatively flat you will need to cut or reshape your tranny tunnel.

Back