• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A few AW4 questions

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to ask you guys a few questions. My AW4 has about 230,000 km or so on it, and I was thinking about changing the trans fluid myself. I just wanted to know wheather you guys think I should replace the filter (isn't it just like a metal screen inside the transmission?) and I also wanted to know how hard it would be to tighten the bands and weather I should try to tackle it myself. Annother thing I wanted to check is that, according to my chrysler dealership, they don't make a gasket for the transmission pan any more but RTV should work to seal it up. Just wanted some advise.

With that many miles it might be a good idea to change it if you don't know whether it's ever been changed. Pull the pan and clean it up real well and remove any metal shavings from the two magnets in the bottom. The "filter" is just a very fine metal/mesh screen... probably don't need to replace it, just take it out and clean well in some solvent. Mine didn't have a pan gasket when I pulled the pan, and the local parts store wasn't able to get me one the next day, so I cleaned both sides up real well and used RTV... hasn't been a problem.

As far as the bands go, I can't help there. Maybe somebody else knows the answer to that question.

My Haynes manual has detailed instructions on adjusting the bands on the 3 speed tranny but nothing for the AW4. It may be something not easily done or not possible on that tranny.

Back