• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some local help

90exjay

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a place to take some basic welding classes, or someone who can teach me some of the basics,nothing outrageous just would like to be able to install my own cage and so forth.Am willing to pay someone for their time.

Thnx in advance

Sean

90exjay said:
nothing outrageous just would like to be able to install my own cage and so forth.Am willing to pay someone for their time.

Thnx in advance

Sean

i think shoreline or seattle community offers nite welding classes. when you say nothing major, then you mention welding in your own cage, well thats pretty major. you need to be able to trust your welds with your life!

shimmy said:
i think shoreline or seattle community offers nite welding classes. when you say nothing major, then you mention welding in your own cage, well thats pretty major. you need to be able to trust your welds with your life!

Well to me when i say nothing major i mean like doing a frame from scratch, a cage needs strong welds,wether its percfectly straight or not is a cosmetic thing. for me i am more interested in making strong welds not necessarily pretty welds, but again im not familar with mig, have done some stick.

i went to lake washington technical college, night and moring classes offered, also there are welding classes at renton vo tech and green river IIRC

Appreciate the help, but most of the college courses are design to get you certified and a job as a welder,and as nice as it would be to have that much training,can't really afford that much time and money to invest into it.

Thnx again.

Sean

90exjay said:
Appreciate the help, but most of the college courses are design to get you certified and a job as a welder,and as nice as it would be to have that much training,can't really afford that much time and money to invest into it.

Thnx again.

Sean

Well shoot man, you're not asking for much, are you? ;)

I can tell you that RTC and GRCC both have shorty versions of their welding classes. I have friends who have taken both. Not only are they cheap, they're informative and very quick. Check out their websites. It's not all for certification. :)

Do you have a welder?
You say you have used a stick?

If you have basic skills (reading the penetration of the weld) and you have some experience with a stick. My recommendation (short of taking a course wich is an excellent idea) is to buy a decent mig machine and a good hood and just start practicing with non critical things (grill guards, scrap metal, skids, etc).

Welding a cage takes a significant amount of experience even if it is a kit cage and you are just welding it into the vehicle (upside down, weird angles, cant see the weld, between the cage and floor, bracing etc).

Class is probably a very good start.

Michael

2xtreme said:
Class is probably a very good start.

Michael

I'd highly suggest doing that before even buying another welder. :) Notching and mating up tubing is just as important as getting good penetration...and is some of the most difficult welding there is. You don't dink around with structural stuff like that or it'll be pointless to even build! Some might even argue that you'd be worse off with a badly built cage than none at all...

Practice, Practice, Practice is the best thing I can say. Be comfortable with your machine. Weld every peice of scrap together you can find until you are totally copmfortable with your welds and you might even be able to sell the scrap as modern art when your done and use the money for your class.

I talked to Dave Parker Welding Instuctor at Renton Tech. College the saturday class has space and will work with you . Stop by 3000 ne 4th st in Renton go to 'A'' bldg between 8am and 2:30 pm Monday thru Sat.:thumbup:
Yes I work for RTC.

hards91xj said:
I talked to Dave Parker Welding Instuctor at Renton Tech. College the saturday class has space and will work with you . Stop by 3000 ne 4th st in Renton go to 'A'' bldg between 8am and 2:30 pm Monday thru Sat.:thumbup:
Yes I work for RTC.
Awesome i really appreciate everyones help,will definately be looking into this.

Sean

Back