• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

interior

aussiewheeler

NAXJA Forum User
hey i just bought a jeep cherokee and i removed the carpets becuase under neath was kinda moldy or wet, and the under pading was pretty much destroyed
i think the carpet can be saved with a rug doctor but the pading is going to have to be replaced. i can get house carpet pading for cheap but i was wondering what everyone else thought on what i should use. im kinda low on money so nothing too expensive and herculining is out of the question for now.

so what do ya think, thanks

I may be wrong on this but I think the padding under factory carpet is more for insulation than just padding.. It may also be flame retardant??
Household padding is nothing more than foam and the area above the cat and muffler get pretty hot.

Maybe someone else will chime in with some more info on this..

yeah i was going to sand back any rust and then primer it but i still need to know what to use for padding, i use it as a DD and i dont want to just put the carpet back in for noise issues

aussiewheeler said:
yeah i was going to sand back any rust and then primer it but i still need to know what to use for padding, i use it as a DD and i dont want to just put the carpet back in for noise issues

Don't just use primer use rust-olium or enamel paint too.
Primer is very porous so it helps with the adheasion of your base paint to the bere metal primer actually will help rust form.

Try this take a piece of steel and paint one side with just primer and the other with any kind of paint see with side starts to rust first.

73's KG4BET

Back