• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swaps

ish01

NAXJA Forum User
im new to this site but was wondering who all has done a engine swap on an early model cherokee i have an 85 with that carb 2.5 wanted to do a good swap but not to a v8 like to build it around 37's currently have a 5 in with 32's any input on this would be great likes and dislikes

dude use search...but swapping in I6 is easy...just go fuel injected and get the computer and such and all the emissions
...that is difficult, the wiring.

Looking for info about swapping a 2.5 to a 4.3 throttle body. I have a complete donor. need info on motor mount brackets and any other adapters needed. Thanks Bonehead Bumpkin

Re: Re: engine swaps

Looking for info about swapping a 2.5 to a 4.3 throttle body. I have a complete donor. need info on motor mount brackets and any other adapters needed. Thanks Bonehead Bumpkin

I believe 4.3L XJ did a swap.

The 84-86 also came with the V6 so the distance from the firewall to the radiator mount is less than the 87+. The engine was compartment was changed slightly to fit the I6.
One of the SoCalXJs did the 5.2L V8 swap from a Dodge Dakota back 1996 and the engine fit nicely.

I put a 98 4.3 v6 into an 82 Toyota back about 10 years ago. Don't get me wrong, the power was nice, probably more than twice the stock 4 cylinder, but when I got done and had driven for a while, I kept asking myself why I didn't go v8. Same amount of work, same amount of money, lots more power.

Just a thought... I think a 5.3 in an xj would be pretty much perfect.

Your options are jeep 4.0 or LS motor. Going cheap I'd go Jeep. Otherwise... you won't save much if any money at all going with an older SBC, a dodge or whatever and it will probably be harder. You might go ll8, the Chevy inline 6 from trailblazers, but for a simpler, easier swap that brings the power go new style Chevy v8

Back