• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 disco axle shaft clip

jeremywhy13

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of replacing a broken axle and all of the axle seals in my diff. For some reason I had a clip that kept my inner axle shaft from coming out. I have a LockRight locker and a Posi-Lok cable actuator in this diff. I had to take my locker apart while it was still in the carrier to get the clip off and the axle out.

While this was not a difficult process once I found out how it is done, it would have been a lot easier if I could have just pulled the axle out.

Does that clip really need to be there. Most everybody I have talked to said that they don't have any clips in theirs. Once you have everthing put together and the outer axle nut torqued down, the axle is not going to go anywhere.

I got lucky and was close enough to home to limp it to my shop to fix it, but when I break an axle on the trail and have to fix it there I would rather be able to just slide the axle out instead of having to take my diff cover off and take my locker apart

I don't have an answer weather that clip is needed or not but if you break that inner axle you'll likely have to remove the carrier anyway to get the broken piece out.

Jes

Athough I stll use the c-clip in mine I have been told that the directions of several lockers say to not bother re-installing the c-clip.

The intermediate shaft is sandwiched between the outer shaft and the inner parts of the carrier and it's maximum movement is pretty small. I guess that's why they say you don't have to re-install it.

But, if you ever break that shaft like was said before you'll have to take the diff cover off anyway so it won't really be saving you much time in the end.

Back