• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I adjust TC linkage on a 242 (help please)

klonestar

NAXJA Forum User
Did search and found old threads (03'-04') on adjusting linkage (cant find em again now) but they did not say if it was for standard/auto and did not explain well for a newb.

Mine will not go into 4Low. Seems to stay in a neutral function. Both 4highs work well no prob.

I really need step by step info on how to.

Like if I jack up w/TC in low and loosen linkage nut how will that alone change position of the clamp/rod location?

Read somewhere here that if the "low4" adjustment doesnt work can try in 2wd to adjust and now just more confused than ever.

When I put into 4low now nothing happens, no noise, nothing. Just freewheeling as if in neutral.

I did try all methods of finesse as far as different ways to try to coax into gear and nothing helped.

Is a 90'xj auto 242.

Many thanks,
Ken

Place a 1/16" spacer in the rear of the 4 low notch unhook the linkage put the t-case lever in 4 low and adjust linkage. Then take spacer out.

langer1 said:
Place a 1/16" spacer in the rear of the 4 low notch unhook the linkage put the t-case lever in 4 low and adjust linkage. Then take spacer out.
Ok so im like totally brain dead right so please bear with me....

TC Lever should be 1/16" from bottoming out on console position?

Then first loosen linkage bolt and after that put in 4low? Then "adjust linkage" to what position? Once I loosen linkage bolt will the rod automatically be in the correct position to tighten bolt? Or do I need to push/pull rod all the way forward or back?

Thanks again,
Ken

TC Lever should be 1/16" from bottoming out on console position? YES
Then first loosen linkage bolt and after that put in 4low? Then "adjust linkage" to what position? Once I loosen linkage bolt will the rod automatically be in the correct position to tighten bolt? Or do I need to push/pull rod all the way forward or back?

Back then tighten and remove spacer.

langer1 said:
TC Lever should be 1/16" from bottoming out on console position? YES

Back then tighten and remove spacer.
Tried but linkage/clamp are frozen together. Guess I need to take it all out and clean up first. Thanks.
Ken

langer1 said:
Then I doubt it's out of adjustment anyway.
What else could cause 4low to not work?

Also if it makes a difference I did notice this time the dash light said full time when in fact the lever was in the 4low position which is part time. 4wd full time is just above the 4low spot. Otherwise the dash lights work fine for 4high Pt and FT.

Last edited:
Back