• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D60 knuckles, high steer

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Has anyone run across high steer for ball joint D60 knuckles other than going with the Currie setup? Currie sells knuckles that are machined for high steer arms and they come with the arms, but what do you have to do to get high steer on your own ball joint D60 stuff?

We found a couple of complete D50's out of Excursion's at a real good price ($500). I wouldn't use the center section, but I would consider using the outers on a D44 center section if I can figure out the high steer. If I have to get Currie knuckles then it defeats the cost savings of getting the D50. Of course, this might all be moot for me since I don't think I can use my 15" rims with the stock brakes, so I need to see what might be able to be worked out there, too. Tim has to get new rims anyway, so he can use the stock brakes, but we have to figure out the high steer.

Richard, machine your own knuckles to accept a 44 High Steer Arm............:thumbup:

Knuckle-2Web.jpg

That's what I'm wondering, what can be used. The pic isn't the bolt pattern of a normal D44 high steer arm, so do they start with a blank arm? Is Mad4wd doing this? Could you expound on this a little more?

I have to look at the knuckle again to see how it could be machined.

The auto hubs on those use a pulse vacuum setup. 15" vacuum to engage the hubs, then another 8" to disengage. The inside of the hub has a mechanism like a ball point pen.
It's another of Ford's better ideas.

You know, I missed that, and I work at a Ford dealership. It looks like a vacuum or breather line, but I figured it must have something to do with the ABS. Yes, it's for the pulse vacuum hub locks. Need to see how those knuckles can be machined.........though for me the brakes fitting a 15" rim is still a problem.

Tim, I think the knuckle looks similar enough to that other knuckle that it could get machined flat for enough space for a high steer arm. The other knuckle in that pick is definitely different, though. I wish there was someone around with a Currie knuckle that we could look at, to see how they do it.

Anyone have a pic of a Currie knuckle?

The Currie setup looks almost exactly like the Mad picture above except the ones I've seen had only 3 bolts and all had the high steer arm tied to the stock arm with a spacer and long bolt. I assumed that was for added strenth and to keep the arm from bending. I did forget to tell you to call Mad4x4 because they like to do this odd ball stuff.

PM SeanP and tell him to get off his lazy butt and contribute. He's running a Ford balljoint with highsteering. Maybe he can compare them a little.

Here's some closer pics of the currie style from Allpro. Can't see the arm very well though. It does show the brakes well though. What I was trying to eplain the other night was the stock ears for the calipers are spread further apart on the 450 knuckle. You may still be able to squeeze the willwood setup in there, but I bet it would be cheaper to buy new wheels.

hybrid_axle01_l.jpg

hybrid_axle02_l.jpg

SeanP's is a ball joint? I'll get in touch with him. I still wonder about the brakes fitting my aluminum 15" beadlocks. It's not just getting new rim's, it's also having to get new tires.

Sean's is a pre-SupDuty balljoint. Different outer knuckle entirely.

His HS is kinda funky looking, looks a bit weaker than a standard 44 pattern, kind of like teh Currie setup, which looks weak to me.

CRASH said:
OTT's Dana 50 arm is the beefiest on the market.

http://www.ottindustries.com/dana50.htm

I knew I had seen those somewhere.

Did PPhead tie the new high steer arm down to the stock steering arm? I'm almost positive that is why Currie does theirs that way (excluding their new knuckle). They claim zero failures with standard steering or hydro assist but I find that hard to believe.

Here's an update on what I've found for doing D60 outers. While the aftermarket king pin inner C's are pricey, the ball joint C's are reasonable. Part's Mike sells ball joint C's that fit a 3" tube for $189 a pair. Tera ball joint C's are $81 each. Rockcrusher knuckles are ball joint, are $230 each, and they use spindles instead of unit bearings. The spindles allow the use of GM 1/2 ton calipers so 15" aluminum rims will work. Rockcrusher sells a brake kit for 5 on 5.5, which comes with spindles, 5 on 5.5 hubs, and 2 caliper brackets. You have to get your own GM calipers and CJ rotors. The brake kit is $860, calipers and CJ rotors are probably around $160-180. Rockcrusher sells high steer arms for their knuckles for $190 a pair, and the arms and knuckles are slotted so they are held in place by more than just the studs. Also, 35 spline Spicer stub axles for spindles are $89 each, while 35 spline stubs for the unit bearing style are $200 each.

So, the combination of inexpensive ball joint C's with Rockcrusher knuckles that use inexpensive spindle parts, allows the use of 1/2 ton brakes and 35 spline stubs for the least overall cost. So, adding bearings, seals and brake pads, new D60 outers from the C out with 35 spline stubs and 1/2 ton brakes will run roughly $2300. Add to that $360 for 35 spline inners cut and splined to any length, then the cost of whatever housing, gears and locker.

Goatman said:
Here's an update on what I've found for doing D60 outers. While the aftermarket king pin inner C's are pricey, the ball joint C's are reasonable. Part's Mike sells ball joint C's that fit a 3" tube for $189 a pair. Tera ball joint C's are $81 each. Rockcrusher knuckles are ball joint, are $230 each, and they use spindles instead of unit bearings. The spindles allow the use of GM 1/2 ton calipers so 15" aluminum rims will work. Rockcrusher sells a brake kit for 5 on 5.5, which comes with spindles, 5 on 5.5 hubs, and 2 caliper brackets. You have to get your own GM calipers and CJ rotors. The brake kit is $860, calipers and CJ rotors are probably around $160-180. Rockcrusher sells high steer arms for their knuckles for $190 a pair, and the arms and knuckles are slotted so they are held in place by more than just the studs. Also, 35 spline Spicer stub axles for spindles are $89 each, while 35 spline stubs for the unit bearing style are $200 each.

So, the combination of inexpensive ball joint C's with Rockcrusher knuckles that use inexpensive spindle parts, allows the use of 1/2 ton brakes and 35 spline stubs for the least overall cost. So, adding bearings, seals and brake pads, new D60 outers from the C out with 35 spline stubs and 1/2 ton brakes will run roughly $2300. Add to that $360 for 35 spline inners cut and splined to any length, then the cost of whatever housing, gears and locker.
so when does it all arrive? :)

BrettM said:
so when does it all arrive? :)

Haven't you heard of mental masturbation?

:D

Back