• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel line coupling repair/renewal kit

martin

NAXJA Forum User
Guys,

I thought I read a while back on here that Chrysler no longer sold the fuel line coupling repair/renewal kit. I was in my local Jeep dealer today and went by the parts counter to check on a few things. I told the guy what I had read and asked if it was true. Told himn I would buy any they had on hand if it was true.

He checked and found they are still in the system and started to tell me how many in each warehouse, the total was over 1000 units. I was relieved since the Fuel Injection manual for my 88 XJ said they had to be replaced every time, a one time use component. I changed injectors the weekend before 9/11/01 but never know I may go with the 4 orffice injectors one day and will need at least 2 renewal kits if I do the job.

The parts guy told me the coupling repair kit was used on 87-95 vehicles and did not see any reason why it would no longer be stocked. He quoted me $16 & change for each kit.

If any of you need one of of these go back to your dealer who told you they were no longer stocked and tell them to check again.

martin said:
Guys,
If any of you need one of of these go back to your dealer who told you they were no longer stocked and tell them to check again.

I guess they meant they are not stocked at the dealerships anymore? I got a set last year and the parts guy had to order them. He had them for me the next day. I also went there armed with part number, which I may have gotten from this forum, not sure. If you have your new kit handy, perhaps you could list the part number again?

Sorry to dredge up an old post, but I'm having the leak issue & looking for the part number for the kit. I called my local Dodge house & the only thing the parts guy could find is 83503637. Said it looks to just be 13 o rings for $30. No connector.

The connector consists of a plastic clip available in the HELP! section of your friendly auto parts store. They cost about $3.99 for 5 of them. 5/16"...they look a little different than the original but do the same thing. If the plastic clip is not screwed up, you can re-use it easily as long as you replace the O-rings.

The seal consists of two O-rings and a spacer. The O-rings are easy to find at the hardware or auto parts store...the spacer on the other hand should be saved and re-used. I have not been able to find spacers of the right size and the auto parts guys look at me like I'm from Mars when I ask them about them.

The difference is each clip/o-ring/spacer set you might buy from a supplier costs anywhere from $6.99 up to $14.99. Buying new clips off the HELP! rack and new O-rings costs somewhere around $1.25. The same set-up is on all of the automatic tranny connectors (except those are 3/8"). So if you do all your tranny connections (6) at $6.99 = ~$42.00 (or my way costs $7.50) and both fuel connectors (2) at $6.99 = $14.00 (or my way costs $2.50). It might take a tiny bit of effort on your part.

Yes, you might say I'm a cheap backstard, but it works just as well as the "name brand" and I have them set-up like this of both my Jeeps.

Fuel disconnects

Quick disconnect part numbers

So far the Napa part numbers for just orings is:

Napa 730-5018 3/8 Viton individual orings $1.56 each
Napa 730-5017 5/16 Viton individual orings $1.35 each
Napa CRB 212305 fuel line repair kit 5/16? $15.93 each

Mopar repair kits:

83502745 fuel line repair kit 5/16 $6.99 Morris
83504447 fuel line/Trans line repair kit 3/8 $8.99 Morris

Back