• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp gauge ground ???????

roostmonster

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 4.0 and one day my temp gauge started jumping back and forth from far left to far right so I changed out the temp gauge sensor because I figured it was bad.(the one on the back of the head). After installing it the gauge would not work at all. I figured I got a bad sensor. Put in #2 and same thing. I grounded the wire and the gauge jumped to the far right. Now what???? The flat grounding wire that goes from the engine block to the body is tight. Is there a "Special" ground for this one sender? What could be wrong with this. Same thing happened with my running/turn signal lamps. Turn signal lamps work like a charm but the running lights won't come on????? I'm stumped big time. Any suggestions?????

if you grounded the guage and it went to the right then it's functioning properly.
Are you sure you got the right sender? THere's one for the light and one for the guage. Make sure you tell the guy behind the counter you have the guage.
TUrn signal lamos sounds like a ground issue. I had weird parking lamp stuff up front and the grounds in the socket were corroded. Replaced the sockets and now it all works as it should.

First, be sure the guy gives you a sender for a temp gauge. Base level XJs only have an idiot light, and they don't use a "sender" -- they have an on-off switch for the idiot light.

Next is be sure he has the year correct, because DaimlerChrysler reversed the polarity from 1990 to 1991. Get the wrong sensor and your gauge will work in reverse.

Back