• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable ball joint question with alignminet specs

P1atinum

Aerodynamically Challenge
Looks like at least one of my ball joints are gone. I started to notice the jeep pulling to the right and some uneven tire wear and about two weeks ago it got worse.

So I check the ball joints with the pry bar under the tire method and the only joint I noticed any play in is the driver side upper. Then I took it to the alignment shop to check the specs for me and confirm my diagnosis.

Alignment specs are here
Front left – Driver side
Camber Neg 1.1 (out of spec)
Caster 5.7 (in spec)
Toe 0.08 (in spec)
SAI 11.1
Included angle 10.1

Front Right – Passenger side
Camber Neg 0.4 (in spec)
Caster 6.2 (in spec)
Toe 0.14 (in spec)
SAI 10.7
Included angle 10.3

Front
Cross Camber -0.6
Cross Caster Neg 0.5
Total Toe 0.22

Now I need to replace the upper driver side ball joint at least, but the alignment shop said I needed adjustable ball joints to get the front end within spec on camber. I took this with a grain of salt.

I have a couple of questions with this.
With my alignment specs what benefit will I have going with adjustable ball joints say .5 adjustable as opposed to standard ball joints, am I really going to gain that much? Seems that some are not a fan of the adjustable ball joints.

Should I replace all 4 ball joints while I have it torn down or should I only do the uppers. From what I read the biggest issue is with the uppers and when doing an adjustable ball joint you only replace the upper joints. Correct me if I am wrong here.

the adjustable ball joints are for the lower ball joints only. they are definately nice if you notice that the top of your tires are sitting in more than bottom.

I used to work in an alignment shop and I think you would be alright going with standard ball joints. The only spot your out of spec on is where the bad ball joint is at, which makes sense. The way your alignment specs look I would say just rotate your tires more often if they're wearing unevenly.

Thanks OD.. I haven't gotten to the Ball joint yet. but plan on doing this Sunday.

Back