• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Picked up a rear end today.

Motornoggin

NAXJA Forum User
After months of research, I finally got a replacement for the D35. I have not had any problems with the 35, so this is more of a preventative upgrade.
I decided on the Chrysler 8.75. It came out of a 69 B-Body (Satellite, Coronet etc.). It has a WMS of 59.20, 5 x 4.5 BP, and the 742 case. There is some debate as to wheather the 489 or 742 case is better. I chose the 742 due to the larger pinion bearings and the use of pinion shims instead of a crush sleeve.
The build-up may take some time, but plans include a complete teardown and cleaning, all new brakes, bearings and seals, 5.38 gears and a Detroit locker.

How much did you pay, I got mine for free
501873_91_full.jpg

What is your opinions on the advantage and disadvantage over a Ford 9" 28 spline with 5x4.5 of similar width out of curiosity?

Ground clearance
Cost of rebuild
selection of gears
selection of lockers/spools
size of brakes
availability of disks
Other

Thanks,
Michael

2xtreme said:
What is your opinions on the advantage and disadvantage over a Ford 9" 28 spline with 5x4.5 of similar width out of curiosity?

Ground clearance
Cost of rebuild
selection of gears
selection of lockers/spools
size of brakes
availability of disks
Other

Thanks,
Michael

I actually looked at some 9" rears too. The 9 is a great axle and I imagine it would be very comparable to the 8.75. I think the ground clearance would be very similar. After looking at some prices I believe that a rebuild would cost about the same for either. I suspect there are more options for traction devices and gear ratios for the 9, but the 8.75 has all the basics available. Brakes on the 8.75 are 10" or 11", so they are comparable to the Ford axle. I have not looked into a disk upgrade yet, but I will.
The 8.75 has a 1.75 pinion shaft diamater, and the Ford is 1.31. When I have seen a 9" break, and I have seen a couple of them, it grenades the pinion. I have actually seen the driveshaft come out of the vehicle with the pinion gear and part of the center section still attached. Granted, it was in a high HP application.
The biggest deterrant for me on the 9" was the price. I could not find one for less than $500.
I think either one would be a great axle under an XJ.

91 Jeep Project said:
Is this a west coast thing? They go for $50-$200 around here.

Probably. I bet I could have found one for less, but I don't really have the time to look all over for the best deal. I was at a swap meet a few weeks ago and the 9s were all over $500. It seems the car guys like to get more money for their stuff than the truck guys like to pay. I could have searched all the wrecking yards for the right one, but if I go to 10 yards before I find one and is costs me $200, have I really saved anything after hours of driving and multiple tanks of fuel? The 8.75, I actually had to go to a Mopar wrecking yard to get it, as I could not find one anywhere else.

Back