• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ transmission leak

FiFo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a leak on my 96 XJ between the tranny and transfer case. Has anyone ever had to replace the trans output shaft seal?

I just did the SYE on my 231 and the leak didn't start until I reinstalled the transfer case.

Is it the transmission seal or a problem with the input seal on the transfer case.

Thanks in advance.

Just had this done to mine recently. Either one could be leaking, you wont know until you pull the TC and Tranny apart. I replaced them both because I already had it apart. The hardest part of the operation is getting the two components apart without killing yourself with the TC.

Good luck.

James

I pulled the two apart last night, some fluid was in the joint between the Tranny and the TC so I know that one of them is leaking. Looking at the two seals it wasn't really clear which one is leaking so I went ahead and just purchased both of them. Hopefully I can get them replaced and put this all back together this weekend.

I'm having this same problem on my '98. I pulled the TC and installed a SYE kit and now after everything is back together I have the same leak between the two.

Since mine wasn't leaking before, what caused it to start leaking? Is there a special procedure that should be followed to align the t-case with the transmission? Perhaps I rolled the Transmission seal when I put the T-Case in, on the T-case side the seal is pretty protected.

FSM says to simply fit the shafts and push the case on. Which seal is usually the culprit?

Does it matter which seal? Spend the extra $6 and replace both while you have it apart.

No, it doesn't matter, just sucks I have to pull it back apart. What I'm wondering is if there is a trick to putting the TC back on the AW-4 so the seals, new or not, don't start leaking again.

Back