• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Redline MT90

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my Redline a few minutes ago, noticed something intersting, says meets gl1,2,3,4 and not to be used in GL5 spec applications. This is unlike Amsoil whose gear oil runs the gamit from GL1-GL6 all in one jug....
Annoying that I only ordered 3 quarts, brain fart, now gotta wait till monday till the other quart comes in..

That's a good thing. It means it has less sulfurs, which tends to eat brass synchros. The MT-90 made a huge improvement in cold shifting in my AX-15.

I don't see how Amsoil can make the claim that it meets all the specs especially both GL4 & GL5. An oil that rated GL5 should NOT be used in almost all manual trannys. I guess it's kind of a jack of all trades; a little good at each but excels at none. (Can you tell I've never liked the crap)

Redline is top notch stuff. The only downfall is it'$ price but it's worth it, maybe even overkill for just a daily driver.

JEEPZZ said:
Redline is top notch stuff. The only downfall is it'$ price but it's worth it, maybe even overkill for just a daily driver.

I wouldn't consider it overkill for a DD, especially since it make such a big difference in cold shifting and doesn't cut the life of your synchros. I'd probably consider it too expensive for a trailerqueen that sees a lot of water and gets a lot of fluid changes.

Another vote for MT90. FTM, any decent synthetic seems to work better than dino juice, but a low sulfur content is icing on the cake.

I've been running Mobil-1 gear oil in it for the past 250,000mi [98XJ] and have finally come to the last of the case I bought, when I went to get more I read the label and it said GL5, my older oil did not, hence the Redline and even at $9 a quart its still half the price of the Dealer OEM dino oil...

I made the switch to MT90 and I was skeptical on any noticable improvement but I was surprised. There was a very noticable inprovement in shifting performance and with an asin tranny and brass syncros the MT90 will make it last a long time.

Just switched my tranny over. Stuff is great. I could notice smoother shifting on my first trip out :thumbup::thumbup:

Back