• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing radiator in a 96

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
I was told that replacing the radiator in a 96 XJ can be a real pita. Is this true? I need a new radiator in my 96 and I was wondering if it is something I can tackle in the driveway or if I should have a shop do.

I believe I read that replacing the radiator in older XJ's was very simple, just pulling the hoses and 4 bolts, I don't know why my 96 would be any different but I guess that is why I am asking.

TIA.

Its more than hoses and 4 bolts but it is something you can easily do in the driveway/garage. If you don't have one you can pick up a chilton book and it will walk you through it, nothing that difficult though. I put one in my 96 a few months ago. Look into a tefba filter to protect your new radiator, for $40 it will save your new radiator from all of the pieces of crap in your water pump, block, etc

You have to remove the hood latch and two panels on top of the radiator - one's the radiator bracket, and it interlocks with another panel that ties into the header above the grille. I don't remember which has to come out first, but it should be easy to figure out. Also have to remove the clips that hold the overflow hose to the rad.

It's a little more tedious than it needs to be, but it's not difficult, and it's pretty intuitive. Would caution not to strip the torx bolts that hold the latch and the panel on top of the radiator. IIRC, I remember thinking the metal seemed a little soft and being concerned about this (I was careful though, and had no problems)

Just finished rebuilding the front end of my 96 sport. No prior experience in the process whatsoever but it is so straightforward. Simple disassembly starting with radiator fan shroud and aux fan and the cross piece which anchors the hood latch. Be sure to drain and capture coolant but count on spilling some anyway since it tends to hide and then jump out when you least expect it. If you have AC then you may want to take off the front header panel which opens up the entire front end and makes the entire process easier for removing the ac condensor and hoses but you don't have to. I had no choice in my situation since I was replacing everything anyway. Try to salvage the rubber boots (2) on the bottom of the old radiator since few dealerships even offer them, or trek to your local salvage yard and maybe get lucky. Keep track of all your nuts and screws (love those magnetic bowls) and once you get into it, you may enjoy it. I did. For further info, check out this link......http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRadiatorFitting.htm

XgeekstarX said:
i swapped radiators in mine in the parking lot of my work in 30 minutes start to finish. you need is a 8mm/10mm wrench and a screwdriver to take the hose clamps off.

What year was it?

it took me a couple hours to do the radiator in my 95, and i was takin my time

Its really not as bad as people make it sound. Just a lot of little things that have to come off the front end/be put back. I had to do mine twice, because it got punctured. The second time, I had the radiator off in the morning, got it soldered and the jeep was back on the road by that afternoon.

Sweet, Time for me to break out the tools and a bucket.

I R&Red the radiator in my 96 a few years ago. The only trouble I had was I broke the fan shroud. Im hard on plastic parts though.
If you arent interested in upgrading to a 2 or 3 core, Ive still got my stock radiator. You can have it. I dont live very far from you. Theres nothing wrong with it. Its only got about 40000 miles on it and it never allowed my XJ to overheat. The only reason I replaced it was bacause I started towing with it and wanted to install an external tranny cooler and a little more cooling ability so I went to a 3 core while I had it out.

Ooops, just checked MapQuest. You are further away than I thought (a couple of hours). Oh well, its here if you want it, may save you a few bucks.

Last edited:
While replacing my 96 radiator last summer, I also replaced that Mickey Mouse overflow tubing. I bought a longer section of 3/8" fuel line, and routed it behind the radiator cover, battery, and around the passenger side fenderwell to the overflow tank. It makes for a much neater installation, since the overflow tubing is now hidden.

Back