• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front alignment question

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I've heard that around 8-9* of caster is a good alignment number(89,xj, 5.5 r.e lift,dana 30) but are we talking positive or negative caster?(axle tilted forward or backwards)

I know this is a really stupid question...but I'm new to the diy alignment thing.I adjusted my caster today and I still have weak steering wheel return to center and squirlyness at speeds over 30mph.So I still have a caster issue.It also looks like the pass side is sitting farther foward than the driver side,because I have less room between the sway bar end links and the coil on the pass side compared to the driver side...???

Any thoughts on this will be highly valued....thanks

Last edited:
Axle tilted backwards. I think 6 to 7 degress is ideal, but There's no way you're gonna get that much with your RE 5.5" lift without messing up the pinion angle which will get you horrible vibes from the driveshaft. If you're lucky, you'll get about 3 to 4 degrees with the pinion pointed RIGHT at the transfer case yoke. Most point the pinion a degree or two lower to get back the same in caster. Or you can use offset balljoints and get back even more. That's what I'm gonna do.
This is all assuming you have the high pinion d30 which you probably do.

Kyung

yea I have the high pinion.I have always heard that front pinion angle takes precidence over caster,but what happens if your caster is so bad that your vehicle is dangerous like mine.I wouldn't even think of taking it up to freeway speeds right now.....

If it's serious enough, you cut the knuckles off and rotate them to within spec. then reweld them. Or so I've read--I'm not speaking from experience on this one, but I'm a librarian and when I can, I read everything I can get my hands on. Everything I've read on this subject indicates that this is what's left to do when all else has been exhausted.
EDIT:And yes, pinion angle does take precedence over caster.
EDIT again: And in case being a librarian is too gay, I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Last edited:
Sorry if this sounds assanine, but why don't you stop trying to do yourself what is supposed to be done with a $30,000 computerized machine?

Just have a shop do the alignment and be done with it.

With the 5.5" RE lift most alignment shops won't have a clue what to do and are liable to really screw up your jeep. If you go to a shop be positive they have extensive experience with lifted vehicles.

I started aligning my Cherokee myself after it hit 5" of lift using information from GoJeep. After 16,000 miles the tires are wearing evenly. This guy has a solid NAXJA reputation and really seems to know his stuff.
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm
fwiw
dn

tsgolo said:
With the 5.5" RE lift most alignment shops won't have a clue what to do and are liable to really screw up your jeep. If you go to a shop be positive they have extensive experience with lifted vehicles.

I started aligning my Cherokee myself after it hit 5" of lift using information from GoJeep. After 16,000 miles the tires are wearing evenly. This guy has a solid NAXJA reputation and really seems to know his stuff.
fwiw
dn
X2. Plus, I've had such bad experiences with "certified mechanics" screwing up my junk that I don't trust anybody that isn't intimate with XJs (not in a dirty way). Go to your nearest Jeep service center and ask what tranny fluid they use for the AW4 and you'll probably know within seconds why I feel the way I do.

tsgolo said:

fwiw
dn

how many degrees of caster did you end up with?

jeepdeepfreak said:
x2..... I don't trust any one but myself when it comes to spinnin' wrenches on my jeep....
Are there no good shops in Ohio or something? I've aligned countless lifted trucks and lowered cars, never had a problem when doing it with a proper alignment machine and rack. The only possible problem comes with a truck if it's wheeled and something has been hit, but that's usually more of an issue with IFS trucks than solid axle anyway.

Any shop should be able to give you a printout of the alignment with before and after measurements, as well as the manufacturer's spec. I'm sure you could stand there and watch them do the work if you're really nervous about having someone else work on your car. I seriously think you're giving yourself more headaches than it's worth for a $70 alignment. If I didn't have a shop to work in, I would never even attempt a camber/caster adjustment on my own, way too much of a PITA to get it right. Just my opinion though.

jeepdeepfreak said:
how many degrees of caster did you end up with?
It's been awhile since I last did an alignment but I believe it was right around 6% using the method GoJeep describes. I know my tires are wearing evenly and there are no problems with driving the jeep since it is my dd. I did use a magnetic angle finder that I probably got at Autozone that simplified the process.

Back