• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wierd Smoke????????

orvpark

NAXJA Member # 1374
My jeep was parked getting built for around 6 months. I started it a few times a month to keep things fresh (so I thought)

For background this is a 95' 200k+ mile 4.0

Before I started the last phase of my build this was my DD and It never smoked.

I finally get my axle swap(s) done, take it out for a shakedown and it is blowing blue smoke.

I did a compression test, 130-140psi at all six.

Changed oil, cleaned CCV system, changed plugs

The old plugs had a hard black coat on them. These didn't have 10k miles on them (i keep good records).

What next????????????? The compression test really has me thrown off. Smoking like this has always said "bad motor" to me..........

Could be the valve seals, Ive had a few autos do that. seep oil down onto valves and into cyclinders while they were not being driven. After the get warmed up and cycled with fresh hot oil mine would normally seal back up.

If it was just on start-up I'd think valve seals too. I would have to be missing some for it to smoke like this.

Fuel is fresh. I relocated the tank and just filled it up. The gas is good, I filled up my Tacoma at the same place at the same time.

????????????????

How many miles have you driven it since getting it back on the road after this extended dormant period??

Hopefully its just a symptom of the motor sitting dormant, when you get some miles under the belt, it will blow the carbon out and the seals will wetten and swell a bit and seal better, maybe it will go away, yea I know wishful thinking.

Its common for machinery that has sat a while, without exercise, the seals dry up and dry rot, that might be your oil burn issue.

Back