• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flex fan or Electric fan

seanR

Want to puff on my pipe?
NAXJA Member
my jeep runs hot... 210 to 250 especialy at idle and low speeds, crawling or stop-n-go things like that. I was thinking about either changing to a flex fan or removing the mechanical fan and replacing it with an ecl. one that runs all of the time. Has anyone had any expeance with this?

seanR said:
my jeep runs hot... 210 to 250 especialy at idle and low speeds, crawling or stop-n-go things like that. I was thinking about either changing to a flex fan or removing the mechanical fan and replacing it with an ecl. one that runs all of the time. Has anyone had any expeance with this?

Don't do it. make sure the fan clutch is working correctly.

you can wire your electric one to a switch so you can turn it on and off at need.

Check for other problems in your cooling system. check your Rad, check for Leaks, waterpump, thermostat.... etc ....

Dual electrics are not the way to go.

Apparently im the only XJ owner in the world that has good luck with the dual electirc setup. I replaced my mech fan and clutch with a 12" imperial electric fan from autozone and wired it with the stock electric fan to turn on at the same time at a perticular temp or when the AC is on.
Wheeling it in around 93 degree weather, the temp gauge has rarely gone over the half mark. If the AC is on high, it will peak a little higher, but never gets close the the red.
I run a GDI 3 core radiator too.

Lucas said:
Apparently im the only XJ owner in the world that has good luck with the dual electirc setup. I replaced my mech fan and clutch with a 12" imperial electric fan from autozone and wired it with the stock electric fan to turn on at the same time at a perticular temp or when the AC is on.
Wheeling it in around 93 degree weather, the temp gauge has rarely gone over the half mark. If the AC is on high, it will peak a little higher, but never gets close the the red.
I run a GDI 3 core radiator too.

:D

Probaly I just have bad luck

I have a 90 and I run dual electric fans and I love it. Its quieter and does run cooler. I have rigged the stock fan to a switch and I can turn it on whenever I feel like it. Down here in Texas it gets a little warm and I usually run both at the same time and run anywhere between 190 and 210. My coolant bottle is a P. O. S. so it looses coolant every now and then. Its brand new and the cap wont hold pressure any more. I have replaced the cap 3 times now and I am going to have to find a better bottle.

seanR - I would look elsewhere to control your over heating problems. 250 is not a good temp to let your engine get to. If you have to, pull over and let it cool a bit. Check your system and make sure it isnt rusted, doesnt have any clogs, and everything is in good working condition.

90red

Do you guys notice any power increase or mileage increase running 2 electric fans?

Mine is only 3 years old and has 40,000 miles. The coolant is in good shape, no leaks, good radiator. I usualy let it Idle if I am sitting for a short time because when I turn it off it heat sinks and will red line when I start it back up again. I think if I can keep the heat down around 210 normaly, I wont get so hot after shut down. How many different rad. did they put in these things, Is it possible since it came from the great white north they put "smaller" rads in them?

I dont notice a big increase in either. Gas mileage is generally poor (210,000 mi) and power is okay, I guess. I am not sure if XJ's from the great white north had smaller rad.'s or not. I cant think of any reason why they would. I have an Autozone 2 core cheapo and it runs pretty good. My biggest problem is the coolant bottle. I am thinking of going to our local Jeep specialsts and seeing if they have a remedy for it or if they can fabricate one for me out of some type of metal. I considered switching to the newer cooling system, but the funds dont quite allow it. If I could just get the bottle situation taken care of, I think it will work just fine. Good luck with everything guys.

90red

Im not sure if its actual "power" but the engine sounds a lit revier in 4 low when trying to throttle out of something/

I'm pretty much fed up w/stock mechanical fan clutches, and am considering a dual electric setup as well.

Over 5 years, my 95 has gotten hot in the summer, idling or low speed. I would always kick on the a/c or defrost to start the electric fan, and it would bring the temp back down below 210.

So I replaced it w/ a Hayden fan clutch from Hagars4wd, about a year ago, and it didn't draw any more air than my original, i don't think. It's supposed to 'freewheel' when the engines cold, and engage when hot, right? Well, it does just the opposite.

Draws a lot of air at start up, cold. Then when she's at or over 210, I pop the hood, and put my hand over her- not much air flow. So I start the elec. fan, and it generates a greater air flow above it.

So Im about to ditch this crap, and try to make 2 electrics work.
I did install a GDI 3 core, and the running temp dropped 10-20 degrees, in winter mostly. But I have the same problem in summer. That fan just isn't movin the air. I never overheat at speed.
CB

I have some front end damage on my Jeep from a wreck, so I either have to buy a new fan shroud ($22) or I might want to switch to dual electric fans ($59.99 for the 12" Imperial at AutoZone). Lucas & 90Red, looking back on it, would you recommend the upgrade? I'm running a 2-row Modine and I haven't had a problem with overheating in the past, even in 110* temps. How did you guys mount the fans, zip ties or something fancier?

By the way, the reason I'm considering it, even though I haven't had a problem in the past, is that during the wreck the mechanical fan went right into my last radiator and ruined it. The front of the Jeep didn't crush in, but the motor moved forward enough to smash it and then moved back into its normal position. I've already ordered the bombproof mounts to cure part of that problem, but I like the idea of not worrying about clearance issues anymore. I also like the idea of it being quieter, and I've talked to people around here that have done the mod on other vehicles and gained gas mileage.

First off, I am not sure if 12" fans will fit. I had to install a 10" fan on mine. I recommend using the original elec. fan on jeep along with an aftermarket fan. I tried to mount another factory elec. fan but the mounts are made to fit only on the driver side of the radiator. Also, pay close attention to how deep the fan is. Make sure there is enough clearance between the fan and the bolts that mount the original clutch fan. you probably have a good 3 - 3.5" of room. Summit has a real good 10" fan that blows more than most bigger fans for about $70. Good luck with everything. I hope it works out for you. The fans should come with the mounting strips. They are similar to zip ties. You will need to losen the radiator and move it forward so you can get your hand behind it to fasten the fan to it. You will see what I mean when you start.

90red

seanR said:

I do not recommend flex fans for any car or truck. I do not know personally of a single person who uses one and has not had it come apart and do damage to the inside of the engine bay. I have heard people who say other wise, but I definetly would not use one.

Either fix stock clutch or consider electric.

my .02
Michael

Who sells the summit fans? I am planning on leaving the original electric fan in and just replacing the mech with an electrical also. I'll measure how much clearance and room I have before going and then get a 10" or 12" or whatever fits best.

spal fans are probably the best and noisest out there.. i dont have a 4.0 anymore but twin spal fans and an aluminum rad would keep my 350 around 208 like clockwork. right now i have a dumped copper rad and one spahl fan and the secondary rarely kicks on and i dont go over 210 that often. first thing i would do is change you thermostat.. they are like 12 bucks.. just make sure you boil it and make sure it works right before u put it in.. BTW a GDI radiator is an awesome upgrade to a cooling system.. :D

Back