• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail repair

gabe4

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to get a spare parts list going for on the trail. I've got axle shafts alternator, fluids of all sorts. Also any handy tools that need to make the list as well. One of the items I'm trying to create is a book with how to's and pics so if you know of any links to good write ups that would be appreciated as well.

Get a Chilton's or Haynes manual to keep for the trail. It's much easier to keep organized than a stack of online writeups. I keep mine in the XJ and use an actual shop manual on my computer at home.

Don't forget a 36mm socket and a good breaker bar for the front axle stubs.

Having the spare parts and right tools is great. BUT, how/where do you store them? Especially if you have kids or pets, camping gear, etc...

sell kids and pets to fund more parts, or get a trailer.

You might also need a 30 mm for the t-case plugs. A strong magnet on the end of a long shaft or a bunch of socket extensions can be used to remove part of an axle shaft when it breaks(that if your lucky enough otherwise youll have to pound it thru fron the other side)

olympic4x4tech said:
sell kids and pets to fund more parts, or get a trailer.
You might also need a strong, long shaft (if your lucky enough otherwise you'll have to pound it thru from the other side)

Wife won't let me sell the kid. I said she could go with him...JK. I love my family.

Looking at your quote, What are you packing on the trail? LOL...

I have an excel spreadsheet of alot of gear and tools listed and a couple word documents. If anyone wants it. Its not the most complete but its a start.

Yes i carry about 40" worth of socket extensions.

a thick piece of wood, a come-along or ratchet strap, some 1/2" rubber hose and funnel, small can of WD-40 and PB, a big c-clamp, extra bolts for stuff that you know is venerable, a 2 or 3 foot section of 1" pipe for extra leverage, some chain, a prybar, bottle jack, the list goes on. It just depends on how good of a boyscout you are.

96mdxjcountry said:
Holy Shiat.......lol

great list.... I just bought a small trailer and am putting it on 33s so I'll eb able to take pretty much as much stuff.... rather have it than not...

Then you will need a list of spare parts for the trailer... :read:

96mdxjcountry said:
Holy Shiat.......lol

great list.... I just bought a small trailer and am putting it on 33s so I'll eb able to take pretty much as much stuff.... rather have it than not...

Actually, all of that fits under the rear seat and in a big action packer rubbermaid with the exception of the axle shafts, driveshaft, and tirerod. That still leaves the other half of the rear for camping gear when the rubbermaid is turned front to back.

BFH, Channel locks, duct tape! good to go! lol kidding.

Was thinking would need a trailer to but how about just throw all the stuff in friends jeep and have him/her follow you around! hehe

Better yet: Let the friend take the kids, dogs, hamsters....and you take the tools!

Room is a issue that's why I'm trying to come up with this list so I can play the odds and take what is most likley to break. I've got a camper so I'll bring somethings along that way and just leave them at camp. I've seen the cargo area draw units and they look good I might build one of those but has anybody built something for the roof rack, right know the spare tire is up there but soon I'll have a rear bumper and tire carrier.

if you're planning on running near water take new oil filter, air filter, and oil... 13, 15, 17 mm sockets, 36 mm, breaker bar, lots of duct tape

Back