• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

44 rear end @ecology

mark91xjbeef

NAXJA Forum User
i just got back from the ecology on energy way in chula vista. in my hunt for seat belt buckles i found a dark blue xj with a 44 rear end. i have a 8.8 already so i wanted to let you guys know so someone could go get it.

Troy is going to get it right after work. He can't get to a computer, so he called and asked me to post it for him.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

ok, i went to ecology in chula vista and it wasnt a 44, it was this,
04_12_06_1546.jpg

it looks like an 8.25 but it is much bigger ( other cherokee had an 8.25 ) i found some under the dodge vans, would it be a good one and what is it, 5 on 4.5 lug patern.

desertjeeper said:
I agree, it looks like an 8.25. You sure it is bigger? 'cause... it sure looks like an 8.25
telling you, the thing is a good inch and a half taller and two or three wider, just shy of a monster :shocked: i looked at another 8.25 right next to it, it was small compared to this one.

i thought the same thing when i saw it. but a 44 does have a round bottom i should have known better. if it is a 8.25 i have never seen one like that before.

8.75 or maybe a 9.25 truck rear?

If its as big as you say its not factory

Troy,

Fawk it! Get the Corporate 14 Bolt rear and a Dana 60 front end. I know it is on your mind :D

cracker said:
Troy,

Fawk it! Get the Corporate 14 Bolt rear and a Dana 60 front end. I know it is on your mind :D
ok, ok, i will stop toying with these little axles and go big. but in due time, as money permits, i will only buy once and only buy BIG!

any one have a 14 bolt axle they might want to be rid of really cheap, ecology they are $165 complete, i dont need one right away so for cheaper i might take one off someones hands:laugh3: ( serriously though, a 14 bolt or eaton from a late 60's or early 70's is what i want, and will pay for ) and if you pay me good enough i might even take a front 60 out of your yard:shiver:

Last edited:
steagall9301 said:
( serriously though, a 14 bolt or eaton from a late 60's or early 70's is what i want, and will pay for ) and if you pay me good enough i might even take a front 60 out of your yard:shiver:

The eaton is not a bad option, but i hope you dont plan on finding parts anywhere for it. I FINALLY have mine w/ all the parts, 5.13 third member, detriot locker, disc brakes, blah blah blah.

I would not take the time / money to do it again. I'd just put a 14 bolt in and be done with it. Though it is a sweet little axle though i guess, and a whole lot lighter then a 14 bolt.

sintax said:
The eaton is not a bad option, but i hope you dont plan on finding parts anywhere for it. I FINALLY have mine w/ all the parts, 5.13 third member, detriot locker, disc brakes, blah blah blah.

I would not take the time / money to do it again. I'd just put a 14 bolt in and be done with it. Though it is a sweet little axle though i guess, and a whole lot lighter then a 14 bolt.
ecology had two eatons one with 4.10 gearing too, one under a 71 chevy 3/4 ton and the other i dont recall the truck ( i believe a 1 ton ) with a 4.1:11 on the tag proablem i have is i run 3.73 or i would have gotten one of them, but i will switch it to the lowest gears i can get when i finaly do the swaps, not for power really, i have that, but to reduce my crawling speed pluss the extra torque ect...

steagall9301 said:
ecology had two eatons one with 4.10 gearing too, one under a 71 chevy 3/4 ton and the other i dont recall the truck ( i believe a 1 ton ) with a 4.1:11 on the tag proablem i have is i run 3.73 or i would have gotten one of them, but i will switch it to the lowest gears i can get when i finaly do the swaps, not for power really, i have that, but to reduce my crawling speed pluss the extra torque ect...

The lowest you can possibly go is 5.13, but that is the same for 14 bolts too. Next time you are there can you take a look at the hubs and see if there are any with 9/16" studs? Most i've seen are 1/2" but i'd like 9/16" to match my front. I'm sure i'll end up just redrilling my hubs.

sintax said:
The lowest you can possibly go is 5.13, but that is the same for 14 bolts too. Next time you are there can you take a look at the hubs and see if there are any with 9/16" studs? Most i've seen are 1/2" but i'd like 9/16" to match my front. I'm sure i'll end up just redrilling my hubs.
i will look.

I was under my durango today and the axle says it is a 8.25 but it is WAY bigger than an Jeep 8.25. I thought it was a little strange; wonder if it is the same axle??

Back