• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading an 89 XJ to a 96?

ratherbcamping

NAXJA Forum User
I now have a 96 4WD, auto XJ donor. I plan to swap everything into my 89 XJ. The whole process seems pretty simple until I get to the wiring harness inside the vehicle.

Has anyone done this? How involved is it? Do I need to swap the steering column as well? Just looking for some input....

Thanks,
Tom

The steering column is different between the two years and my quess would be they changed the connectors for the column at the same time. I would imagine it is as involved as gutting both jeeps and swapping everything over to the 89. You will have to take the dash apart on both for nothing else but to unplug things to switch the wiring over. Are you also swaping the motor and trans? The 89 would be renix control and the 96 would have a much better chrysler system. I also know some things changed senser wise between the two years on the auto trans, and the newer trans (96) has more out put splines than earlier trans. That means your 89 t-case would not work with the 96 tranny. I hope this helps.

black93xj said:
Are you also swaping the motor and trans? The 89 would be renix control and the 96 would have a much better chrysler system.

Yes, the 96 has a title issue. So everything is going into the 89. Would it be easier to swap the entire dash?

I belive that the basic dash is the same but I am not sure what they changed to make the other column bolt up. Another item I forgot to mention, the 96 has extra floor bracing that the seats bolt to, That means the seats from the 96 are not a direct bolt in for the 89.

Back