• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New rustys xj 2" kit.......or regular bb

jpars

NAXJA Forum User
im going to be ordering and putting on a BB within 1-2 weeks here and had a question.

has anyone seen this?
http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/...s&Product_Code=200AL&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit

its brand new, only about 25 bucks more then the RE BB, and comes with full coil springs instead of just a spacer.

Is replacing the entire spring a big advantage, on road and/or off, over a conventional BB spacer?

or should i just save the money on shipping and go buy the RE kit over the counter?

250 seems a little high for 2".

I bought RE 2" spacers and TnT's 1.5" shackle, and made a 3/4" solid block(haven't installed it though, probably won't either). Way cheaper way to go. And the soft stock suspension is great for flexin. Look at my pix in my sig.

dont want a shackle lift and no blocks.

i want AAL, and pretty sure a BB.

i would go with the rustys 3" for 5 bucks less but i don't think its complete, and i cannot afford a sye and driveshaft right now, so i would have to do a tcase drop.

the Rusty's comes with a T-case drop if I remember right. Also their 3 inch lift is complete and you can use your stock LCA's until you feel like upgrading.

u dont need a sye and driveshaft with a 3 inch lift u might not even need a tcase drop, there kit is complete some people already have lower control arms in their kits but they arnt needed right away add a leafs r gona make your rear end stiff as hell and it aint gonna wanna flex and if u do a lot of offroadin or haulin they will wear out and flatten down, if your willing to spend 250 on a add a leaf 2 inch budget booster just save the extra money and buy the 3 inch kit from rustys with full spring packs you will be much happier BTW i run 6 inches of lift on my 94 with no sye and tcase drop and i have never had a problem

Yea well........I've been reading this site for about a year now, and to be frank

with a 96, the year they changed the output shaft or something on the tcase, a 3" with full leafs will give me vibes, and ill end up over 3 inches in the rear. I cant afford a sye, i cant afford to regear, ive researched for a long time i know what it takes to do these lifts right, and I dont have the funds to go 3 or higher.

None of these replies answer the question.

Im not going with rustys 3 inch, i dont feel its complete and im not gonna cut short. When I go that high in the future I will probably go RE. also, maybe its possible i only want 2 inches, because i dont want to lose power gas mileage, and other issues?

250 isnt insane at all for a BB that comes with 4 shocks. Tons of people run the RE kit at 230ish.

My question was simply should i spring the 20-30 more bucks for the rustys new 2" which comes with full springs in the front or is it not that much of an impovement over the spacer.

cant wait till im 18 so i can join.......can someone in red who knows the answer to this please chime in

I can't give you an answer, but I will give you my opinion. You are right when you say you MIGHT need and sye and what not to get rid of vibes. I doubt it but it is possible. Even then I don't consider a t-case drop to be part of a complete kit. I think a t-case drop if you plan to wheel is extremely stupid. Hence if it isn't in your budget for an sye it is good that you are thinking 2" only. Not to mention at 3" you also look at trackbar and other piddly things **(been there done that)

Now to answer your question. If I was gonna spend big bucks on just a 2" bb I would surely look into Rustys kit. Coil springs will ride and flex better anyday than just spacers on top of the crappy stock springs. As for the rear a full leafpack will be better but Rustys leafs aren't known to be exceptional. However I would buy the Rustys if I wanted a no hassle full kit. You could also piece together a kit and be better off (like 2" rustys coils and somebody elses leaves). But personally the Rustys kit would be a good starter. Well I have wrote enough .....................cheers------------Kyle

i have personally never heard of someone needing a sye at 3 inches of lift, maybe at 4.5 or higher but not at 3 a buddy of mine has a 99 xj with a 3 inch superlift and 1.75 inch shackle and 1.5 inch spacer and a tcase drop on 32's, another friend with a 97 cherokee with 3.5 inches of lift on 32s neither have vibes or problems that would require a sye.

offroadman83 said:
I can't give you an answer, but I will give you my opinion. You are right when you say you MIGHT need and sye and what not to get rid of vibes. I doubt it but it is possible. Even then I don't consider a t-case drop to be part of a complete kit. I think a t-case drop if you plan to wheel is extremely stupid. Hence if it isn't in your budget for an sye it is good that you are thinking 2" only. Not to mention at 3" you also look at trackbar and other piddly things **(been there done that)

Now to answer your question. If I was gonna spend big bucks on just a 2" bb I would surely look into Rustys kit. Coil springs will ride and flex better anyday than just spacers on top of the crappy stock springs. As for the rear a full leafpack will be better but Rustys leafs aren't known to be exceptional. However I would buy the Rustys if I wanted a no hassle full kit. You could also piece together a kit and be better off (like 2" rustys coils and somebody elses leaves). But personally the Rustys kit would be a good starter. Well I have wrote enough .....................cheers------------Kyle

thank you. i would go full leafs but the only company i have noticed that carries a true 2" lift leaf pack is OME, and they are wayyyyy to spendy.

redneckjeeper94 said:
i have personally never heard of someone needing a sye at 3 inches of lift, maybe at 4.5 or higher but not at 3 a buddy of mine has a 99 xj with a 3 inch superlift and 1.75 inch shackle and 1.5 inch spacer and a tcase drop on 32's, another friend with a 97 cherokee with 3.5 inches of lift on 32s neither have vibes or problems that would require a sye.

it seems like the majorty on this forum will tell you if its 96 or later to make sure youve got the budget for it if you go over 3.

I also just DONT WANT TO GO 3 because i feel i should get a new tracbar, LCA's, and other stuff that the rustys kit doesnt give you and i dont want to spend more money on right now. i wasnt asking about vibes at 3 inches, that has nothign to do with what i was asking about. I know what i want and the rustys 3" AAL Kit is not it, end of story

I had Rustys 3" on my 98. Stock track bar, stock control arms, just went with a t-case drop. If I had to do it over again I would do the same lift, but pick up his drop cross member so I wouldn't have lost the ground clearance of a t-case drop. But set up as it was, no vibes at all with my 31s.

I have a hard time suggesting that you go with a BB, quite frankly you will get inchitis and end up going with a 3" + anyways. I know that doesn't answer your question, but thats the truth.

But to try and answer your question, I would think that an active 2" of additional spring in the front would ride/flex better than an inactive piece of poly. Not sure if it would beenough to make much of a difference though.On top of that if you go with a full spring BB now you can add a puck and shackle BB on top for a near 4" lift when you start to think 33s look pretty good.

You may need bigger bump stops, depends on tires and if you use your swaybar. Hockey Pucks work great Ive got like 6 bucks into my front bumpstops.

jpars said:
thank you. i would go full leafs but the only company i have noticed that carries a true 2" lift leaf pack is OME, and they are wayyyyy to spendy.

it seems like the majorty on this forum will tell you if its 96 or later to make sure youve got the budget for it if you go over 3.

I also just DONT WANT TO GO 3 because i feel i should get a new tracbar, LCA's, and other stuff that the rustys kit doesnt give you and i dont want to spend more money on right now. i wasnt asking about vibes at 3 inches, that has nothign to do with what i was asking about. I know what i want and the rustys 3" AAL Kit is not it, end of story

jpars said:
Yea well........I've been reading this site for about a year now, and to be frank

with a 96, the year they changed the output shaft or something on the tcase, a 3" with full leafs will give me vibes, and ill end up over 3 inches in the rear. I cant afford a sye, i cant afford to regear, ive researched for a long time i know what it takes to do these lifts right, and I dont have the funds to go 3 or higher.

None of these replies answer the question.

Im not going with rustys 3 inch, i dont feel its complete and im not gonna cut short. When I go that high in the future I will probably go RE. also, maybe its possible i only want 2 inches, because i dont want to lose power gas mileage, and other issues?

250 isnt insane at all for a BB that comes with 4 shocks. Tons of people run the RE kit at 230ish.

My question was simply should i spring the 20-30 more bucks for the rustys new 2" which comes with full springs in the front or is it not that much of an impovement over the spacer.

cant wait till im 18 so i can join.......can someone in red who knows the answer to this please chime in

why dont you save and just do it right the frist time? if you think youll want to go bigger in the future it will be more expencive to upgrade a 2" kit than it would to just buy a 3 or 4" kit. as far as new TB/SYE/DS/control arms. you can run a 3" with out a new TB/SYE/DS/or CA's. just relocate the TB, and get full leaf packs and put on some * shims. if you want to go with 2" the go for it its your $. dont get all pissy b/c people are trying to give you advice. IMHO 2" really isnt going to help you much offroad. and 1" higher isnt going to affect power/gas mileage much. if your worried about losing MPG dont drive a jeep. as far as needing to regear...why would you need to regear with a 3" kit? it would be nice to have abetter gear ratio with alittle bigger tires but its not needed. in my experience you have to trim the fenders to effectivly run any thing over 31"s or 32"s with a 3" kit any ways. and if you get a 2" you will get the inchitis and end up going bigger anyways. so why not do it right the first time. thats just my .02

btw im running 3" with stock TB and no SYE or DS, no vibes, no noticable loss of power/mpg

little red cheroke said:
why dont you save and just do it right the frist time? if you think youll want to go bigger in the future it will be more expencive to upgrade a 2" kit than it would to just buy a 3 or 4" kit.

Took the words out of my mouth. Save your money, don't jump the gun and spend the 250ish and get the 2''. I'll bet any money in a week you will be wanting more height. Itchitis happens to all of us...

I did a custom 2.5" lift with Teraflex 1.75" Rear Shackles, JKS ACOS Spacers, Custom mabye 1" lift Leaf packs, BDS 5500 Shocks for around $380 (ACOS were most of it at $179.95 at the time). I should have saved my money, cause now I'm saving for the RE6130/TNT Y-Link setup/combo all over agian...
Trust me... I'm learned the hard way and I'm paying $$$ for it now. :(

ive had the xj a year, been reading this site for about a year.

jesus, i know what i want. i AM doing it right the first time.

i am going to college next year, will have no money for future upgrades etc

maybe, just maybe, i actually like my cherokee as is, am ENJOYING wheeling it stock right now, and dont want or need a big lift right now.

i want 2" and 30s. better offroad, better looking, good start.

is that such a damn crime?

Relax, don't sweat it. Re-read the responses: you actually got an answer buried in all the bickering. If I was gonna do a BB and was sure that was it, etc I'd get full springs, too. They should flex better and ride smoother. And since this kit comes with shocks (for what they're worth) I'd get this kit.

Back