• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget front bumper done (pics)

Dazz

NAXJA Forum User
Well its about 90% done. I still have to weld on the end caps.
But you'll get the idea.

1255bumper5-med.JPG

1255bumperfinish2-med.JPG

Here it is with the bumper mounted...

1255poser5-med.JPG

1255poser2-med.jpg

It was a simply design.
It set me back roughly $25 including 4 cans of spray paint. :D

Have any during build up pics? I like it!

offroadman83 said:
Have any during build up pics? I like it!
Unfortunately I don't. I didn't take notice to take the pics after I finish welding the parts together.

Here is a list of material that I used:
*Mounting brackets - 1/4" plate
*Bumper Frame 2"x6"x3/16"

HTH!

looks alot like mine! I don't have any ring attachements though. Put a 2" receiver tube in the middle.

Have you tried a recovery with the shackle mount? It's going to bend on the first yank. I know from experience. A bumper that a few friends and I built had the tow points integrated into the 1/4" frame brackets, similar to yours. You can bend them to a 45* angle with a single blow from a 20oz. framing hammer.

Flowers

andyr354 said:
looks alot like mine! I don't have any ring attachements though. Put a 2" receiver tube in the middle.
I may still put a 2" receiver later down the road.

Have you tried a recovery with the shackle mount? It's going to bend on the first yank. I know from experience. A bumper that a few friends and I built had the tow points integrated into the 1/4" frame brackets, similar to yours. You can bend them to a 45* angle with a single blow from a 20oz. framing hammer.
If it does, I will add another 1/4" or 5/16" plate for reinforcement.

That your backyard Dazz or were you wheelin' in the DMZ? Looks good I like seeing the fabricators out there.....how does one just add a 2" receiver tube BTW? That's what kept me (well that and skill) from even attempting a front bumper (I may try a rear w/o a hitch or tow points) I was afraid it would bust when I needed it and hurt someone (or me).

P

xxxj-va said:
That your backyard Dazz or were you wheelin' in the DMZ? Looks good I like seeing the fabricators out there.....how does one just add a 2" receiver tube BTW? That's what kept me (well that and skill) from even attempting a front bumper (I may try a rear w/o a hitch or tow points) I was afraid it would bust when I needed it and hurt someone (or me).

P
That view was on a public vacant water reservoir. It’s just a really close place to test any new goodies that I may have put on the XJ. :shhh: :)

As for the receiver, its also relativity simply to construct.
Here is another illustration that I've taken from a member on JU forum...

fb78c341.jpg

fb78c33e.jpg

fb78c339.jpg

HTH!

In the works are my DIY Long Arms conversion... :)

Flowers said:

I used 3/8 plate steel to mount to the unibody, through the 2x6 box to make my tow points. I then made mirror image pieces for either sides of the plate that stuck out. Welded the two pieces to the first plate, ground smooth, and then drilled the 3/4" holes through the newly formed block. 3/4" shackles work perfect. Wish I could post pics.

no, what he means is, the 1/4" shackle brackets are going to bend in the direction of any sidepull.

1/4" is WAAAYYYY to thin for shackle mounting tabs. Flowers isn't talking about something he learned doing a weekend garage job one-off, he's talking about a project that was slated for real-live production, and he learned how whimpy 1/4 was during real-live product testing during a many-month prototype stage......

I know Tim doesn't want you to take his post as a rip, he is trying to help you avoid disappointment! Don't wait for your tabs to bend before you decide to reinforce them. Bending and straightening those tabs a few cycles will fatigue the metal and cause stress risers. I can guarantee your tabs WILL bend.....its not an "if"......do yoursef a favor and reinforce them NOW!

Personally speaking, I wouldn't use anything less than 5/8-3/4 thick mounting tab.....Actually, I much prefer using hoist rings....

please, I don't want you to think I'm trying to rag on your bumper, PLEASE don't get that impression......just trying to steer you in the right direction, based on mistakes I've made myself!

On Beezil's response. I was commenting what I did to build my bumper. Maybe the way I described it , it sounded like I built a chincy POS. The diameter of the mounting tabs came out to be 1". Better than 5/8 or 3/4". It was made up by welding three 3/8 plates together similar to "ply wood. It will withstand any pull angle or force until the unibody rips. I wasn't questioning any body's abilities or knowlege.

mark, by the time I got down to your post, I forgot who it was that started the thread! (short-term memory).....sorry, a little reading comprhension error on my part......I was so focused on trying to convince dazz to beef his brackets, I stopped paying attention.....

No problem. :cool:

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll add an additional 3/4" plate this weekend and finish the end caps.

:)

Looks pretty nice...the one i built looks very similar in appearance..except my tow hooks are bolted to a lower reinforcing plate that also attaches the bumper to the underside of the "frame".

Back