• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Two XJs into one

TGFH

NAXJA Forum User
Here's one for you - I now have a 1995 Cherokee Sport 2wd (4.0, 5-speed) - perfect TX rust free body - and it runs great. I have a 1997 Cherokee Sport 4wd (4.0, 5-speed) - with a bit of rust and a light rollover. To get one nice 4wd Cherokee - I can put the 1997 front axle assembly and tranny/transfer case under my 1995 - OR the 1995 body on the 1997. Which is easier and which would be better?

Swap into the 95. Pretty simple swap and you have a clean 4WD XJ. Can't swap bodies, their unibody vehicles.

Are the axle ratios the same? If not, you will have to swap both axles out of the 97.

Well, given that the XJ is a unibody, basically to put the 95 body on the 97 would be about the same as saying "put the running gear from the 97 into the 95." You just need to decide how much of it makes sense. Minimally, you need the tranny and transfer case and front axle. Other parts, such as engine and rear axle, steering gear, etc. would presumably depend on condition.

Back