• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 disk brakes

XJ NORM

NAXJA Forum User
wondering if anyone here has done a disk brake swap on a chy 8.25 rear??
i don't know what parts, grand cherokee? crown vic?
any help?
i've got a 2001 xj, just swaped in 8.25 from dana 35. i did a sye and cv
driveshaft. wondering too good locker for this diff? is my daily driver, but
hit the trails as much as i can.
thanks alot
norm

no one here as ever done it, you are the pioneer. go forth and conquer!

:rolleyes:

Same for me, I have an '01, swapped in an 8.25 and disks, have a locker sitting in a box waiting for my inspiration to install. I used brakes off a ZJ that had a D44a, pretty easy swap.

they don't have the same bolt pattern, the rotors won't fit.
ColoradoXJ13 said:
KJ's with discs have a 8.25 axle....

mack said:

KJ disc brakes are a direct bolt on for the 8.25" XJ rear axle. Bolt pattern is the same, 5x4.5". I'm running them on my 87 that I swapped a 8.25" into. Work great. the park brake cable attachment needs some creative thinking, but it is doable.

mack said:

According to all the info I have found on the web, they are the same 5 on 4 1/2" pattern as XJ's. I have even seen the Icon wheels that I have on my XJ, on stock KJ's.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
KJ's with discs have a 8.25 axle....
the swap is what I was referring to....

Bryan C. said:
KJ disc brakes are a direct bolt on for the 8.25" XJ rear axle. Bolt pattern is the same, 5x4.5". I'm running them on my 87 that I swapped a 8.25" into. Work great. the park brake cable attachment needs some creative thinking, but it is doable.
did you hook your park brake up? if so, what was involved with making it work right?

huh...i guess so, i was told they woundn't.
i guess thats why i just did the zj stuff..........

Okay, so this brings up question, do the KJ ABS axles have the same tone ring style/ABS system as a 2000 XJ? My thought is, even though the KJ axles are narrower, if the assembly would fit the outer part of an XJ 8.25, I could have axles built that were longer to slip into the XJ housing.

I guess the real question is, is the outer KJ housing flange different then the XJ or is it the same type of flange with a bolt on bracket for the caliper? Wish I knew someone with an ABS Liberty.

Thanks.

Why would you go through all that work just to have ABS. ABS sucks. $.02

Another option is the TeraFlex kit which I have. It is very nice and was installed no problem save that they don't include a way to hook up your parking brake cable, but that is solved easily in a few different ways.

The reason I went with this kit is I could not get any used ZJ parts for a reasonable price. All the local junkyards would not let me strip off just the brakes - I had to buy the whole axle and for the price they wanted I could just get the TeraFlex kit and get NEW parts...

Its been a very worthwhile upgrade, especially running 35's.

bshaw said:
did you hook your park brake up? if so, what was involved with making it work right?

I used a cable clamp, these were used on 2 right side YJ park brake cables. You may need to cut some of the spring coils off to make it work right.
standard.jpg

Back