• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drilling 1/4"

waubm

NAXJA Forum User
Got some 5.5"x12" chunks of 1/4" and a dewalt kobalt 5/8"s drill bite and a delta drill press, wondering if anyine had some tips on drilling this. What type of cutting oil will keep my bit like new? is there a better for your money bit than the dewalt? What speed should i keep this on? really slow? Seeing how this bit was near $20 i would like to clear this up before i screw up.

I just drilled some 1/2" holes in 1/4" with the same bits. I started with 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2. I used 3-1 oil, used slow speed, steady pressure and let the bit cut.My bits still cut, though.

Yup, let the bit cut for you and use plenty of oil. :)

Our bits in the shop last a LONG time with this stuff.

nrtx.gif

FarmerMatt said:
Rapid Tap is good stuff. I don't believe the "Drill Doctor" will sharpen 5/8" bits, but it's not hard to do it by hand on a grinding wheel.
The 750 models will do up to 3/4", the 500 models will if you buy the larger chuck for it.

You want to have a slow rpm and just enough pressure to make one continuous curl and use plenty of cutting fluid...
and as FarmerMatt said with a little practice your bench grinder is the perfect drill doctor.

the formula for rpm is

RPM = ((4 * CS) / D) * .75

for fully flooded (continous lubrication)

and

RPM = ((4 * CS) / D) * .66

for normal lubrication

the cutting speed of mild steel is about 36

D is the diameter of the drill bit

so for your application

RPM = ((4 * 36) / .625) * .66
RPM = (144 / .625) * .66
RPM = 230.4 * .66
RPM = 152.064

so around 150 RPM, as far as pressure, keep the bit cutting, with out binding up the drill press

12GaugeXJ said:
Way to go guys. Way to say nothing about what has already been said.
what he said!

Back