• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

breaking into my MJ

87manche

NAXJA Forum User
So, how's it done. I've got a slim jim of sort that was in the bed when I bought it I assume for this reason.
So, I locked the keys in the truck. Something I'm notorious for doing.
Problem is that the spare that's normally under the truck was in the cab, cause I had used it about 2 hours prior and tossed it in the center console.
So, the question stands. How do I break into my MJ?
I've got win vent windows, and the wiper trim is shot along the drivers side glass, so I can get things down into there pretty easy. I'm not worried about scratching glass, but I would like to avoice breakage.
Thanks.

Well theres a rod that runs from the key forward try and hook it and pull up.
Did you lock your wife inside? If so have her wind the window and give you the keys.

ok, I just needed to know where the rod was. Thanks John, I'm gonna go try it right now.

well, I couldn't pop the rod on the drivers side.
My laziness on repairing the passenger side door handle paid off though. I never lock that door since the handle is broken, and I jimmied the linkage with some screwdrivers until i popped.
Spare key's where it belongs now.

XJ Jeepin Girl said:
Call the fire department?

No, do not ever call the fire department because you locked your keys in the car. Call a locksmith. It is thier business not fd's. You only call fd in an emergency! Now, do call if a child, animal, or medication is locked in a car.

If you do call fd they will come and they will unlock it if it is not an emergency (they will not just leave you standing there) but it is not right for you to call them because you simply locked your keys in your car and you do not want to spend the money to get in. FD is about customer service but do not abuse their services.

Last edited:
What I think you need for this is a stiff fork tool, with which to grab the lock rod that runs horizontally through the door. You get the tool down there, and twist it to grip the rod, then move it laterally. The tool I've seen recommended for this is not a flat slim jim type thing, but made of stiff rod, because of course you can't twist a slim jim once it's slipped in.

that's precisely the problem I had, couldn't grab the rod with a flat piece of stock.

hah, mines real easy. The sliding rear window has no latch. course, that also means it can be broken into by OTHERS easy which isnt good. (fuel pump cutoff switch here we come.)

afd516 said:
No, do not ever call the fire department because you locked your keys in the car. Call a locksmith. It is thier business not fd's. You only call fd in an emergency! Now, do call if a child, animal, or medication is locked in a car.

If you do call fd they will come and they will unlock it if it is not an emergency (they will not just leave you standing there) but it is not right for you to call them because you simply locked your keys in your car and you do not want to spend the money to get in. FD is about customer service but do not abuse their services.

A driving program I took last summer told me to call the FD... But what do they know. I guess that's what spare keys are for!

87manche said:
that's precisely the problem I had, couldn't grab the rod with a flat piece of stock.
Sure you can. Start by holding the slim jim on the out side of the door and mark how far down the lock is. Now slide it down between the glass and the seal and work it up and down as you slide it forward. At some point the rod crosses to the inside lock button at that point the notches in the Slim Jim will catch the rod. If you feel it but can't hook it you can bend the ears a little.

I thought I had felt it, but I ended up bending the sheetmetal the slim jim was made of. Made it fun to get a bent hook past the window seal at the top. At that moment I decided that since the passenger door was unlocked I'd see if I couldn't grab the rod that operates the latch, since the button is missing from that handle. It was easy enough, I levered the mechanism with 2 screwdrivers until I popped it. Took about 15 minutes.

langer1 said:
Sure you can. Start by holding the slim jim on the out side of the door and mark how far down the lock is. Now slide it down between the glass and the seal and work it up and down as you slide it forward. At some point the rod crosses to the inside lock button at that point the notches in the Slim Jim will catch the rod. If you feel it but can't hook it you can bend the ears a little.

The problem is that the rod goes horizontally, and you must move it horizontally also. The specified tool requires that you put the prongs down over the rod, then twist it to grip the rod. You can't twist a flat slim jim once it's snuck past the window, unless you rip out the weatherstrip.

Back