• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33 BFG MTs on 3.5-4.5" lift

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I have the oppurtunity to pick up 4 33x12.4R15 BFG MTs with 90% tread left for $100/tire. Right now, i have the RE 3.5" superflex lift. I'm trimmed quite a bit all the way around, with 4 rear TJ flares all the way around. I have room to trim more up front, used the cut and fold method in the rear. Currently, i have 31x10.5 dayton MTs. My rims are 15x8 with 4" of backspacing, and i dont rub anywhere, flexed or not.

Can i fit these tires, on my rims, maybe with additional trimming, and get away without significant rubbing under daily driver status? I could add and extended shackle and a spacer up front for another inch of clearance, and bumpstops if i need to.

The reason i really wanna do this is because the tires are cheap, and i'm going to regear this summer. I have the 8.25" in the rear of my 99, and the deepest you can go anyways is 4.56, which i think would be good for 33s. I'd hate to gear to 4.10s for 31s, and then lift it more and go to 33s, just to be where i am at right now with stock gears.

So, can they fit with more trimming, another 1" of lift, and possible bumpstopping?

here are pictures of it, i dont know how to post them here, or if i even can:

http://www.usjeeps.com/members/p686-1138143167.jpg
http://www.usjeeps.com/members/p686-1138143181.jpg
http://www.usjeeps.com/members/p686-1138143148.jpg
http://www.usjeeps.com/members/p686-1137126847.jpg

i dont have any pictures of it with the TJ flares on, cus my camera "disappeared" itself over spring break.

flame on

you can fit them on there, but i would do some more trimming up front and definitely bumpstop the hell out of it. there is a guy on jeepforum.com that has the RE 3.5" and 33x12.5's. it'll still probably rub like hell so IMO i would have a spacer and shackle. also look on dpg offroad's site. they have an xj with the 3.5" RE kit on 33's and 35's. hope this helps.
-Matt

I got 4 inch rear 3 front with 34" LTB's......... Didnt move the bump stops .though i should and will but it still flexs sweet,and you get added ground cleance with out to much lift..

Helltech4x4 said:
I got 4 inch rear 3 front with 34" LTB's......... Didnt move the bump stops .though i should and will but it still flexs sweet,and you get added ground cleance with out to much lift..

do you have any pics of yours? also, are yours the skinny LTBs?

Thanks for the info guys...i emailed DPG and made a post on Jeepforum to try and find the guy you were talking about.

i just finished trimming my fenders, i am running a 4.5 rubicon lift with the exact same tires. they clear just fine so far. havn't had a chance to get out and flex it yet though. i am planning on going another 1-1.5 inches with shackles and spacers just for the extra clearance though.

I am running 33x10.50 BFG's with the same rims on a 4.5" lift and have no problem without bumpstops. I measured 4.25 inches of lift in the rear and got some 1" steel blocks just in case, but have not had to put them in yet. You can do it, but may need to add bumpstops, which is what I ended up donig in the front.

Kevin

ive got the same 3.5" re and im runnin 31's trimmed no problem, Im going to 33's asap though I think they will clear with out any problems

mwm said:
ive got the same 3.5" re and im runnin 31's trimmed no problem, Im going to 33's asap though I think they will clear with out any problems

thats why im doing it, that and the tires are a steal, and the deepest i can gear with the 8.25 is 4.56 anyways. I wouldnt mind the extra inch of lift and bumpstopping though.

Right now i'm assuming with a little more trimming and bumpstopping, and an extra inch from shackle/spacer, they'll fit without rubbing. I guess my question now is with the 4" back spaced rims, am i gonna have problems when turning, or when i'm stuffed and turned (probably gonna rub). Or do you think 4" backspacing with 12.5" wide tires is alright?

JeepTherapy said:
I am running 33x10.50 BFG's with the same rims on a 4.5" lift and have no problem without bumpstops. I measured 4.25 inches of lift in the rear and got some 1" steel blocks just in case, but have not had to put them in yet. You can do it, but may need to add bumpstops, which is what I ended up donig in the front.

Kevin

did you extend your bumpstops in the rear?

NCCherokee said:
did you extend your bumpstops in the rear?

No, but I did put the overload leaf in from the Dodge Dakota rear spring pack that I used.

Kevin

Back