• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended lower front shock mount picture...

ren

NAXJA Forum User
Image9.jpg

Like the title says...
This is made using the rear sway bar axle end brackets, 2" sq. tube, and a piece of 1/4" strap. Allows use of STOCK length front shocks with lift of around 3".

Ghetto,and your losing a ton of travel!

Maybe "ghetto" to some, but in almost a year's time, I have had no trouble. As for travel loss, not really noticable. I tend to run trails, not rock piles. Actually, on second thought, how am I losing travel, as the shock length is effectively the same as a longer shock without the extension?

ren said:
Actually, on second thought, how am I losing travel, as the shock length is effectively the same as a longer shock without the extension?
:huh:

If anything, you're losing up travel, not droop. That's assuming that they're stock-length shocks and the extension were built to accomodate a lift of the same height.

He should have about as much travel as a stock XJ, which is pretty decent. Lay off, I've done the same type of fix (but extended the top) to get by for a few months. It works just fine. Creative way to put off spending $80-$100 on shocks.

Jared:patriot:

Okay, to respond to the remark about limiting up-travel, technically you are right, but the shocks that I am using collapse more than the front can compress. I am running "Monroe Gas-matic +" shocks, and they collpase down to around maybe 9".
Thank you. As for putting off buying the "correct" shocks, you are dead right. I have more need of funds for fuel right now, than a set of "super-hyper-triple- damped, quadruple extensionable" shocks, thank you very much. Besides the Monroe shocks ride well, have a "life-time" warranty, AND they are locally available. However, the REAR shocks are some Skyjackers that I had left over from my old Scout II. They are for a 4", and have worked out quite well so far. The down side of this is that when these go dead, I will have to try and remember where the heck I put the reciept at, and then go through the hoops to get a set from Skyjacker, as oppossed to just running down the street and having the folks look in the comp. for my records ( or find the reciept and take it). Oh, well.

Last edited:
I wasn't knocking it. In fact, I just did this two nights ago so I could keep my lifetime-warranted SensaTracs. I also cut and rewelded the lower rear mounts. With two kids still in diapers and gas now at $2.80, I can't afford new shocks either right now.

Back