• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A permanent solution to the death-wobble?

KatABro

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone tried "Centramatic" continuous wheel balancers?

My 96 has had a recurring problem with the death-wobble because of the 4" lift. If the wheels are at all off balance, she'll start rocking at 45 mph, and again at 65 mph. One I have the balancing redone, the problem is solved. But perfection in balancing is expensive in time and money.

It seems that it would be cost-effective to invest in these. If they work. Advice? Reviews?

Thanks,
Kat

my experiance with DEATH WOBBLE (The world is coming to an end, type of side to side shaking) has come at any conciderable speed, ie 35mph or higher. It had occured after hitting a pot hole or the main culprate a set of RR tracks. Many things can cause it that I have found and tracing can be frustrating to say the least, not to mention expensive. It sounds as if your issue is balance related. Balancing the tires was not a fix for the death Wobble that I experienced.

It was a `96 classic with 3.5" of lift. Now the ex is the only driver and she changed the tires from BFG AT's to Michellin road tire and it fixed it temporarly. She told me now when it happens she accelarates (punches it down) and it goes away.

9 outa 10 times death wobble on a lifted XJ the cause is you don't have the correct caster. You need 6-9 deg positive. As the axle swings down it rolls forward loosing the caster.
Align_Caster.gif

deathwobble is almost always caused by steering issues.

centromatics wont fix much beyond poorly balanced tires, and at that will mask the problem more than fix it. there are a few dozen recent threads about it.

Thanks, Cal.

I did search through the other threads, but no one seemed to have problems "fixed" by balancing. Mine definitely are. (Or, as you suggested, able to be masked by balancing. Is there anything specific about the steering that I should look for?) I haven't seen anything on Centramatics elsewhere here though....

I do realize that by even STARTING another deathwobble thread, I'm beating a dead horse -- or asking for a newbie roasting.

So maybe I'll hijack my own thread into a discussion on wheel balancers?

Thanks,
Kat

Back