• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? on Trans Cooler

RenegadeStang

NAXJA Forum User
As soon as the weather warms up a lil' more I'll be changing out my stock gunked-up radiator (dang those previous owners, don't know what coolant flushes are...) for a 3-row all-metal radiator from radiators.com. I plan on installing an external tranny cooler also. This will be standalone. What specifications would y'all recommend (fittings, cooling capacity, etc.)? Also, any manufacturers you'd choose over others?

Think about a 3 row and a trans cooler, all that stuffs going to be hard getting air through. Also Remeber that all the hot air from the trans cooler goes right in the radiator.

^no upgrade for the mechanical fan, unless you replace it with an electrical fan..........which may be a little unneccesary at this point

and the stock electrical fan, assuming you have one, is a actually a really great fan for it's size and location

The factory towing setup for automatics is a tranny cooler mounted ahead of the radiator. For ease of installation, I'd look into a Mopar cooler for the XJ. It'll have the correct fitting for the tranny lines, whereas the aftermarket kits require you to use adapters.

Eagle is correct, the mopar factory trans cooler is a quick direct bolt in.

I have read that the two row modines out perform the three row radiators.

Good luck,
Tom

Nate, so if I understand correctly, you used the in-radiator tranny cooler AS WELL AS an external with fan on it?

If so, which one do you have the hot fluid running in first? Looks like Trans>Cooler>Radiator>Trans...

I did keep the in radiator cooler.
As you figured, it goes trans, aux cooler, radiator, trans
My reasoning on doing it that way is that it shouldn't overcool the tranny & it "may" assist with engine cooling too.
I have only had the temp gauge go above 175 once (usually runs about 100-150deg) and that was towing 5k lbs in heavier traffic.

The cooler has male AN6 fittings on it but I have AN6-barb adapters on it. I originally planned on having some lines made at a local shop but everytime I want too, something else has to be replaced on one of the turds.

Back