• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6in Lift, what tires

RaiderX7

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys i am new and first wanted to introduce myself. My name is kevin. Currently i am in IRAQ. But when i get back to the states and have some extra money to play with i want to buy a 2001 Jeep XJ.At first i wanted to buy a 95 Bronco but the twin I beam suspension in the front made me change my mind. I use to own a 1986 J20 and i am a hard core Chrysler fan. i also own a 2005 Dodge SRT4. ANyways i have tried searching and searching but i cant find a clear answer. I know this question probly has been asked and i am sorry for re asking it. But i did try searching. I want to get a SKyjacker 6inch lift. What size tires can i fit unde thier with no triming and with little triming. I know this question is probly been beat to death. I am sorry. Thanks for anyone who can help me.

A1C DaRosa
USAF

first off dont waste your money on the Skyjacker crap, full traction, tnt, and rubicon express all make very nice 6" long arm kits that are alot cheaper then skycrapper,

dont get skyjacker, and i'd buy a 97-99. 00-01 has a Low pinion front end which you dont want.

I agree! Do not buy Skyjacker! TNT customs makes a great lift. Of course Rubicon Express. You'll be happy you bought one of those. They are quality manufacturers! Also, 35's should fit.

Well i am trying to get the newest Rig possible. So i really have my heart set of a 2001. with low miles. I am a mecheniac for the airforce so i know my shit but can yo explain to me what the differnce between the 00-01 from the 97-99 with the pinion angles. Again thanks for all the help guys

I was looking at some of the brands you guys mentioned and i really like the rubicon express. One quick question can i still fit 35's with a 5.5in lift instead of a 6.

You guys are really a great help. I have been reading alot of post on the site. And trying to get as much info as possible. But the more i read the more i get confused. So i decided just to ask a shit load of questions. and get it all knocked out in one post. If possible. Again thanks in advance for any help. Ok if i get the Rubicon 5.5 lift for a 01 what else do i need. Do i need front of rear Drive shafts. will the stock do. Do i have to get a CV DS. Like the one on the rubicon website. Also i read that i need a SYE. Is that a must for this high of a lift. Next is gearing. I read that 4.88 gears is good for 35's. Does that apply to both the front and rear axels. Another thing do i need shims. Im just taking in so much info at once that i am getting confused. I think thats everything. I dont do alot of rock crawling. Right now i am stationed in NV and i do alot of desserting run type of stuff. But i am from New England. and i need a rig that can go back home and handle what ever the weather can dish out. My plans are the 5.5 lift. 35in tires, a ARB bumper with a warm m8000 winch. And hopefully i can get a custom hood in my area made so i can get a kennebell bolted up too. But we will have to see. Again guys you are great and thanks for all the help you guys have given my newbie ass. Thanks again.

Youll have no problems at all with fitting 35's with mild bumpstopping and maybe a little bit of trimming. I agree with the others, stay away from skycrapper....TNT's got a full RE/radius arm hybrid kit out now that is just flat out awesome!

Good set up for 6" is either a TNT Long arm or the Full Traction 6" long arm with 35x12.50's, an 87 cherokee D44 in the rear, geared to 4.88's. I run that set up and I love it. Don't go wasting all your money right away. Do some research on all aspects of the lift....ie, long arm vs. short arm, diferent axles, different gears, alloy shafts or stock shafts, what's it going to be used for etc.. Personally, I'd go with a long arm kit above 5" if I were you.

Hey man, welcome to the site. Don't take this the wrong way..... Hang out here for a couple of more weeks and your questions will all be answered. All you have to do is check the mod tech forum every day. I have to agree with Ramsey though, get a '99 They're much better for lifting. I have a 2k and I wish I still had my '99. Had I found this site sooner I wouldn't have to swap over to a high pinion Dana 30 front. Also the 2k and newer XJ's don't have distributors, they do have head problems, they do have a weaker front axle. That's a pretty big deal to me. Like I said hang out for a couple of weeks and read, you'll be suprised how much you learn.

RaiderX7 said:
You guys are really a great help. I have been reading alot of post on the site. And trying to get as much info as possible. But the more i read the more i get confused. So i decided just to ask a shit load of questions. and get it all knocked out in one post. If possible. Again thanks in advance for any help. Ok if i get the Rubicon 5.5 lift for a 01 what else do i need. Do i need front of rear Drive shafts. will the stock do. Do i have to get a CV DS. Like the one on the rubicon website. Also i read that i need a SYE. Is that a must for this high of a lift. Next is gearing. I read that 4.88 gears is good for 35's. Does that apply to both the front and rear axels. Another thing do i need shims. Im just taking in so much info at once that i am getting confused. I think thats everything. I dont do alot of rock crawling. Right now i am stationed in NV and i do alot of desserting run type of stuff. But i am from New England. and i need a rig that can go back home and handle what ever the weather can dish out. My plans are the 5.5 lift. 35in tires, a ARB bumper with a warm m8000 winch. And hopefully i can get a custom hood in my area made so i can get a kennebell bolted up too. But we will have to see. Again guys you are great and thanks for all the help you guys have given my newbie ass. Thanks again.

CV DS = constant velocity ds, like the libby ds. i believe you want a double carden DS. and im pretty sure youll ne a SYE. your front DS will be fine

the kit they are referring to is this one:

http://www.tntcustoms.com/webV3/xjylink.asp

I know what you're thinking 'HOLY CRAP THAT'S EXPENSIVE'. But, it's a solid 5.5"-7.5" lift, depending on if you choose to use the U-bolt eliminators and/or shackles in the rear.

You get to start off with longarms, which will be a lot better than short arms for a 6"+ lift. Also, the mounting plate also doubles as a t-case and crossmember skid plate, which is something you'll probaly want in the future anyways. Basically, this is a complete kit and more. You can buy a regular RE lift, but eventually you'll want longarms and eventually you'll want skidplates....this kit has it all, and it all comes together.

If I had to do it again, I wish this had been out when I installed my lift. I just got my TNT longarms and LOVE THEM.

p.s. be sure to factor in an SYE and most likely a new rear driveshaft as well for 6" lift. Usually around $500 for the SYE and DS and $250-$300 for the install unless you do it yourself.

Chris

definitly leaning towards the tnt customs kit. Looks really solid. Now does the same ring gear for hte back. i think i said 4.88 or something. That goes for the front too. Thanks agian guys

Back