• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear Run Descriptions/ratings

nosigma

NAXJA Member # 1371
NAXJA Member
Never having been up to Big Bear it would be useful to know something about the runs planned and what equipment an XJ should have for each.

Replies to this thread, references to pictures or links to previous posts would be great.

John

There is not really anything super crazy in big bear. On a 1 - 5 scale i'd say everything is in the 1-2 range, MAYBE 3 if things are covered in snow / ice. You should be able to run everything out there w/ 31s and some rails. Of course a tcase skid is always advised on anything. A rear locker will make John Bull easier esp if you are running it east to west.

The trails in Big Bear are great. You will hear many opinions on these trials. The difficulty level really depend on your experience and rig set-up. Some folks will say John Bull and Holcomb Creek are the toughest up there. I love running the trails up there. You can alway run the trails in different directions or choose different lines to make it more interesting. I highly recommend rock rails at a minimum.

I ran many trails, including John Bull and Holcomb Creek, with my old 3" lift and 31" tires, no lockers.

It's great time, but it is nothing like JV.

I'm willing to lead one down to and then through Pontiac sluice, Onyx loop and out 2N61Y to where it intersects 2N02 and then back. What I have in mind may be a better run than either John Bull or Holocomb Creek. I pre-ran this route last week IIRC.

TIM

Bent said:
I'm willing to lead one down to and then through Pontiac sluice, Onyx loop and out 2N61Y to where it intersects 2N02 and then back. What I have in mind may be a better run than either John Bull or Holocomb Creek. I pre-ran this route last week IIRC.

TIM

Sounds like fun. I will take these trails. I have never ran either of these trails.

Bent said:

TIM

That sounds like a very nice run; it will certinaly be considered!

GSequoia said:
That sounds like a very nice run; it will certinaly be considered!

If this trail selection is not available or you are short on leaders, I am willing to lead a run up Gold Mtn and Jacoby Canyon or Holcomb Creek. I don't think Dishpan Springs (aka Deep Creek) has opened up yet.

rpraterxj said:
If this trail selection is not available or you are short on leaders, I am willing to lead a run up Gold Mtn and Jacoby Canyon or Holcomb Creek. I don't think Dishpan Springs (aka Deep Creek) has opened up yet.

From the SBNF web site,

"3N34 From the parking area 1/4 mile east of 2N26Y to Tent Peg Campground (Dishpan Springs) remains closed while repairs to the bridge crossing Deep Creek are completed. We anticipate re-opening the road this spring in conjunction with the tree removal project listed below."

The last time I was up there, Tree removal was going on throught this area.

Last edited:
Damn, sounds like you guys know these trails pretty well, can't wait to run them with you. I've been up there quite a bit, but not with my XJ yet. Past couple years it's been for climbing, back up by holcomb valley campground. Anyway, heard a lot about John Bull and holcomb creek, they sound awesome. They're in the so cal guide book. K, see you guys up there!

Adam

Sorry this is OT guys but I just had to step in and say "Thanks" for the many memories! I lived in Big Bear City for 5 years and what a great time in my life! Careful of the mining claims up there! Could be no more than an out of place pile of rocks to mark the claim. Last I knew of it was still on the books that if your within a 1/4 mile of someone elses gold panning/mining claim they could legally shoot ya! :shiver: lol

And btw, the mother lode has yet to be found! :sunshine:

klonestar said:
And btw, the mother lode has yet to be found! :sunshine:

Right! And "Lucky" Baldwin is still kick'n.

;)

I have a cabin up there and know the trails very well, I will be willing to lead a trail, or be tail gunner, either is fine for me..

3n06X is another fun trail also.. as is Pontiac SLuice/Onyx trail

gold Mtn would be fine for a couple of the 1st timers as it is pretty mellow.

Let me know

nosigma said:
Never having been up to Big Bear it would be useful to know something about the runs planned and what equipment an XJ should have for each.

John,

As you describ your rig, you'll have absolutly no problems with even the hardest trail, with is John Bull. In the past, we've manage to take stock vehicles over many of the trails with a bit of rock stacking and a strap or two. Your rig is *very* capable for any trail up there.

There is an list of required equipment that is mandated for any vehicle participating on an official NAXJA run.

Equipment List

1. Visibly charged fire extinguisher (BC or ABC)
2. First aid kit
3. Adequate spare tire, jack and lug wrench
4. Safety belts for driver and any current passenger
5. Adequate attachment points in the front and rear of the vehicle:
1. Acceptable forms of attachment points:
(All Items must be mounted in a manner to provide adequate strength and integrity)
2. Tow hooks of OEM or greater integrity
3. D-Rings
4. Shackle/Clevis
6. 20ft 10,000lb snatch strap without any metal hooks
7. Secured battery (no bungee cords)

Here's a few of my photo albums from previous runs up to Big Bear:

LOST KJ WEST

SoCalXJ.com in Big Bear

BTW guys... here's a member asking for specific information about required equipment and the trails and all you guys are doing is dodging his question. Shame on you!

WhaleBoy... signing off from Moab.

Andy Steiner said:
John,

As you describ your rig, you'll have absolutly no problems with even the hardest trail, with is John Bull. In the past, we've manage to take stock vehicles over many of the trails with a bit of rock stacking and a strap or two. Your rig is *very* capable for any trail up there.

There is an list of required equipment that is mandated for any vehicle participating on an official NAXJA run.

Equipment List

1. Visibly charged fire extinguisher (BC or ABC)
2. First aid kit
3. Adequate spare tire, jack and lug wrench
4. Safety belts for driver and any current passenger
5. Adequate attachment points in the front and rear of the vehicle:
1. Acceptable forms of attachment points:
(All Items must be mounted in a manner to provide adequate strength and integrity)
2. Tow hooks of OEM or greater integrity
3. D-Rings
4. Shackle/Clevis
6. 20ft 10,000lb snatch strap without any metal hooks
7. Secured battery (no bungee cords)

Here's a few of my photo albums from previous runs up to Big Bear:

LOST KJ WEST

SoCalXJ.com in Big Bear

BTW guys... here's a member asking for specific information about required equipment and the trails and all you guys are doing is dodging his question. Shame on you!

WhaleBoy... signing off from Moab.

You're right Andy. I totally missed the question. Sorry John.

As Andy said, you will be fine. Just have teh required equipment, "they" will check.

Andy, how long ago were those pics?

Here are few of mine from the past year:

Gold Mountain & John Bull with some FSJ's (day after Christmas '05)
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=xj7ztxt.6va6ljcp&x=0&y=r1uad6

NAXJA Big Bear event last year:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=xj7ztxt.7882pvhh&x=0&y=2lq7t6

LOST KJ's last summer:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=xj7ztxt.5zeqxzd9&x=0&y=o3nvkc

rpraterxj said:
Andy, how long ago were those pics?

The LOST KJ West event was from June 2004. The SoCalXJ.com run up Deep Creek (technically in Arrowhead) was from August of 2003 and just after the forest service opened the off ramp over the creek crossing.

Back