• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new rockers

katarn444

NAXJA Forum User
Of course the rockers on my 89 were rotting off so I decided to replace them with some 2x4x1/8 tubing. These are less of rock rails and more rockers, so they are not super super strong but good enough for me.

What I started with
rock_rust.jpg

Some of what I cut off
old_rock.jpg

New rocker off showing mounting tabs
rocker_off.jpg

New front passenger rocker
front_pass_rock.jpg

Under the front fender
front_pass_fend.jpg

New rear driver rocker
rear_drive_rock.jpg

How I attached them to the floor this is one of three inside
pass_bolts2.jpg

Outside
pass_bolts.jpg

Passenger side completed
new_rock.jpg

K

nice job man, very clean.

It was surprisingly easy, the only difficult part was making relief cuts for the 4 seatbelt mounting bolts located inside the rocker area. I sawzalled out some notches and welded them closed.
It could have been even easier if the pinch seam was still intact but it was rusted away along with the rocker.

K

Not well, I was not happy with that but I could not find an easy way to fix it. I figure I will get alittle more road noise but it could not be avoided. The main issue is that the sill changes size from about 4" in the front (which is perfect the door seals up great) to about 5" in the rear (big gap). I could have put the 2x4 at an angle but then I would have had a big gap at the back where the floor is. I also could have used a 2x5 and mounted it lower to th eground but first I could not easily find a 2x5 and it was more work.

I just do not have enough tools to do exactly what I want.

K

C85D4x4 said:
How well dose the bottom of the door mesh up with the rocker?

Back