• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homemade snorkel question

TheBlueSub

NAXJA Forum User
ok i did my reasearch on making a snorkel
i will be using a 3"od pvc pipe and running it only when off roading and be using my homemade air filter system the rest of the time....but any ways...

my question:

what do i use at the top of my snorkel???how do i keep water out??and how should i connect to this??
2252584_18_full.jpg

thanks in advance

You have to run the the inlet backwards to stop water getting in but you lose all ram benefits that way and you engine has more effort to pull all the extra distance. Not a great idea to run the cone on top as wil get very wet!
You could just buy the head or make your own. You just have to use a elbow that is the next size up from your main tube. Fit a reducer under it to get back down to the main tube size with some drain holes drilled in the bottom of the reducer. It is also a good idea to push the main tube up into the bigger pipe area a bit so excess water does not drain into it.
For the filter you can run a much better filter like I use or one of these used here. http://www.dpgoffroad.com/tech/snorkel.htm

ok here is sorta the plan

i plan on running my regular intake when driving on road
but want a snorkel off road so i plan on using 3"pvc (green)
and a hose of some sort (blue)

and i need a head (red)
2252584_21_full.jpg

2252584_22_full.jpg

um, you still need a filter in there somewhere. You shouldn't jsut take it off and drive with no filter at all. So either the PVC pipe must go around the filter or find a smaller filter, but a canister of some sort works best.

Chris

Buy a filter that hooks directly to the open end of the pvc above your door. They make filters that have hose clamps connected to them. Usally 10$ at the local off road shops.

You dont want the filter out in the open - if it gets all wet, it may not work correctly .. and if its not going to get all wet .. why bother with a snorkel?

Alot of the local guys use landrover airbox/filters. Talk to Ketjar .. he has a source on them.

-C

use a hole saw drill a hole in the back of your airbox. Use a silicone adhesive to seal the pipe into the hole going into the back of you airbox. Or use rubber fittings. Seal your airbox air tight. You won't have to worry about running anything to your throttle body being that there is already a tube coming from your air box. This method is also nice because the air will already be flowing through your stock filter. I use a rubber shield at the top of my snorkel to keep rain out.

i am going to be getting a tractor/big rig style filter on top by the (red) section....i will post back in a day with the head..and will be fabbin up the entire snokel over the weekend....thanks for ya'll opinions and veiw

Mothertrucker said:
i am going to be getting a tractor/big rig style filter on top by the (red) section....i will post back in a day with the head..and will be fabbin up the entire snokel over the weekend....thanks for ya'll opinions and veiw

Can u show a picture of that? I hope you are not talking about the flapper.

Not to burst a bubble, but I read somewhere recently where PVC pipe is really bad to use for stuff like this b/c of fumes it gives off when it has air drawn through it into your engine... again, I just read it, but has anyone else heard this?

LilRedRover said:
Not to burst a bubble, but I read somewhere recently where PVC pipe is really bad to use for stuff like this b/c of fumes it gives off when it has air drawn through it into your engine... again, I just read it, but has anyone else heard this?

i would like to know also....never read it but good question....what other material could be used??

CPVC! Chlorinated Poly Vinyl Chloride. ?? This is whats approved for hot water systems! Meaning you dont get the bad stuff out of it.

However on that topic I have read here over and over again that its just plain ol not good to use plastic under the hood as it melts?

Someone showed a pic of black (pvc ?) pipe under the hood? Sure it wasnt ABS? Antadine Butadyne Styrene? Which is black and melts faster than pvc!

I am curious about electral grade pvc tho, the gray stuff? Also there are other grades of pvc used in high heat, acidic, and other industrial uses.

Think I'd go w/galv. or alum. heating duct first!

edited: Now that I think of it I would use dual wall heater vent pipe! 3" I.D. (or was that O.D. ? wheres our hvac guy?)It has a dual wall to keep the heat out and the cool air in!

Last edited:
in the case of a snorkel you're not going to have a whole ot of PVC in the engine compartment proper, and it's not going to be near any major heat sources.

Although PVC is flame resistant, PVC products release toxic hydrogen chloride gas when heated. These corrosive gases can spread faster than flames, trapping building occupants before they have a chance to escape. Hydrogen chloride gas is lethal when inhaled.

I guess if you don't burn it, it'll be fine

Back