• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax-15 too high?

jjvande

NAXJA Forum User
can anyone provide me with a measurement for the position of the AX-15 tranny in the XJ? I'm trying to adjust the height by altering an aftermarket crossmember and i have no reference to use to get it in the right position for no interference what not..

Thanks

standards use a crossmember that mounts the tranny 1" lower than autos, hense people with autos can use a standard crossmember for a 1" tcase drop, so chances are youll want to drop it 1"

I think the drivetrain is supposed to be level. How about measuring from the ground to the center of the harmonic balancer and adjust to get the xfer case output the same height? If you have the xfer case shifter linkage bracket attached, you could adjust the height to get the pivot bar to be level as well.

Also, I though the stock crossmember is the same for auto versus manual. It has holes for both. At least, I didn't need to swap it when I did a manual-> auto swap.

tealcherokee said:
standards use a crossmember that mounts the tranny 1" lower than autos, hense people with autos can use a standard crossmember for a 1" tcase drop, so chances are youll want to drop it 1"
huh? Standard and Auto crossmembers and tranny mounts are identical. I know cause I swapped an AX15 into AW4 rig and I compared the two.

lawsoncl said:
Also, I though the stock crossmember is the same for auto versus manual. It has holes for both. At least, I didn't need to swap it when I did a manual-> auto swap.
IIRC there is only one set of holes in the crossmember. The only thing that is different is the old peugoat trannys had the crossmember up closer towards the engine with a weird tranny mount which is worth it's weight in gold at the dealership.

Kejtar said:
huh? Standard and Auto crossmembers and tranny mounts are identical. I know cause I swapped an AX15 into AW4 rig and I compared the two.

Some are different. I have two '91's here that I'm combining into one (parting one and putting the motor in the other). One is an auto, one is a 5-speed. The 5-speed crossmember has about a 1" dip in it where the tranny mount bolts up, the auto doesn't. Don't know how consistent this is, but it is a fact for some at least.

Anyway, as far as the measurements for the tranny height go, I can't help there. If it were me, I would eyeball it... but I'm ghetto like that. :)

NotMatt said:
Some are different. I have two '91's here that I'm combining into one (parting one and putting the motor in the other). One is an auto, one is a 5-speed. The 5-speed crossmember has about a 1" dip in it where the tranny mount bolts up, the auto doesn't. Don't know how consistent this is, but it is a fact for some at least.
I have a feling that it's not a stock crossmember or maybe one was 2.5l or something.

nope, you got the odd one, even claytons crossmember bolts up 2 way, one for an auto, flip it over, 1" drop for a stick

tealcherokee said:
nope, you got the odd one, even claytons crossmember bolts up 2 way, one for an auto, flip it over, 1" drop for a stick
Well then make that 3 or 4. I know my dad's (94) has same crossmember, I'm pretty sure Rabbit's rig has the same crossmember as well (91??).

jjvande said:
can anyone provide me with a measurement for the position of the AX-15 tranny in the XJ? I'm trying to adjust the height by altering an aftermarket crossmember and i have no reference to use to get it in the right position for no interference what not..

Thanks

Why do you care? Just put it where you want it.
I raised my AX15 at least 2"s and there's no interference with anything.

Claytons flippin crossmember explains why the tranny is basically pushed all the way up into the tunnel. I customized mine per the "tall" configuration, but i need the 1" drop for the manual. I thought it looked high when i had only about 0.25" between the bellhousing and firewall...last night i found that if i lowered it an inch...it was as high up as it can realistically go before interference from the tranny vent (see my earlier picture).

I would use the transfer case shift linkage to get it in the right spot, but i need to find the right one first. Anyone have a picture of this linkage on a '89-91 with the ax-15?

Picked up what i think is the correct one at the yard today...so I'll try and see what's goin on tonight.

Thanks

Back